Sunday, December 30, 2012

Newton Ultra Challenge

NewtonChallengeMalaysia copy

I was supposed to do MR25 Ultramarathon in SG, since i already committed to 24 Hours Cycling Challenge with my Team Mate – Gus Ghani, i had to give MR25 a miss this year.

MR25 clashed the same date with Newton Challenge 12km/25km, and the Cycling event is happening a day after that. It’s too hectic to travel to SG and return back to do the Cycling event. So, i decided to do the next best thing – register Newton 25km and upgrade it into an Ultra category by doing two loops.

At 2 am, Sunday morning i was the only soul at the start line. I parked my car near the Cendol van. The area was deserted. I put on my Camelbak and Petzl headlight and without hesitation retraced the earlier edition route. I scouted the route yesterday with the help of Fazli – proud resident of Bandar Kinrara Puchong.

The weather was nice, and it gets cooler around 3:00 am. I didn’t push the pace, just cruising around the killer hills to complete my LSD.

I completed the first loop 25km with the timing of 2:28 hours.

By 4:30 am, the starting place was now alive by music and flooded with running peeps. The cars now fully occupied both sides of the road that was vacant earlier.

5:30 am i started my second loops, before that i met many friends including Nick Skechers, Gus Ghani, Aiman, A-bou, TK and others.

I started the run with mild pace with Gus, which later i increased a bit with the intention of doing my Subuh prayer at Petronas.

After tackling few of the killers hills and exactly after the WS around 11km. A runner ran beside me and said hi. I think his name was Lim, he said he read my blog and inspired my blog entries. Thanks a million bro. Even in the dark people can recognised me..hehe.

Lim said that he intend to do his Full Marathon next year. Well Lim if you reading this, i am sure you will do well in your Virgin Marathon if you stick to the Marathon training. Go ahead and chase your dream, because we are all a dreamers. Chasing dreams makes us alive and give us hope.

I arrived the Petronas just a few minutes before 7:00 am, and it’s starting to get brighter.

My friend, Ironman Kam Kasturie arrived at the Petronas soon after that.

petronasPhoto: Kam

After completing my Subuh prayer, i decided to pace with Kam for the final 10km.

There’s a lot of camwhoring activities after that because Kam brought along his camera. Yippee!

206540_10151153807566316_884681139_nFooling around with Gus (Photo: Kam)

I got my second wind 4km to finish line, and decided to cruise along the final kms towards it. I met Sid around 1 km to the finish line, congrats Sid for your maiden Newton 12km.

I completed my second loop in 2:47 hours.

530399_10151217231955897_108918490_nNearing the finish line. 50km babeh….(Photo: Lim Soon Chung)

The inaugural Newton Ultra Challenge 50km was completed in 5:15 hours, with that my total weekly mileage is at 125km. You could say that my Ultra training for 2013 is just starting.

Now to the next agenda, 24 hours Cycling Challenge with Gus Ghani.

63702_10151245011208423_2108021102_nWith the other running kakis (Photo: EA)

18 comments:

  1. Amik gambar tak ajak...

    No wonder cari tak jumpa... sapa suruh pakai baju hitam Boss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macam mana mau hajakk...bunny suka hop sana sini..hehe

      Hitam itukan menawan :)

      Delete
  2. I saw your pic on Aizat's FB, too...and he mentioned your started at 2am. Oh my. Congrats :)
    In your last photo, the one on your right..Faiz ke tu? My friend's husband tu.
    Seeing more & more familiar faces/names here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Millie.

      Yes i managed to meet Aizat, kalau nak jumpa Lina Hangat kena buat appointment :p he he

      Yes that Faiz! I am a friend with his uncle Onn, just meet Faiz that day. Our Running community is small, sooner or later we'll sure bump into each other.

      Delete
  3. macam banyak lagi jer benda2 'gila' yang ko nak join 2013. all the best. aku mmg dah jadi regular reader dah blog ko ni. ada link tak untuk marathon training plan.

    aku tahu newton ada run masa beli kasut jogging, to bad at that time aku rasa 12km tu aku rasa aku belum mampu...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks matjoe. Boleh join Newton next edition.

      Marathon plan banyak, google is your friend :)

      Delete
  4. Sememangnya dari planet lain nih..hehe..Congrats anyway! All the best for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sport Planet kot..he he. All the best to you in 2013 too :)

      Delete
  5. Bro, thanks for mentioning me in your blog… hehe
    Nice talking to you, even though it was a short one :)
    Good luck in your next April Philippines Ultra…

    Lim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lim,

      It was my pleasure, all the best in your maiden Full Marathon quest next year :)

      Delete
  6. Cayalah bro.. aku hooked up dgn blog ni. Please continue writing. You dont know how your writings have inspired us the novice.

    Good luck in 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro. I hope you enjoy reading the entries as i enjoy writing them. Good luck to your too in 2013.

      Delete
  7. Bravo!
    Should congratulate u two times hehehe.
    And thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha ... since when did I become Nick Skechers? But it was great meeting you and I still think you're insane for running 2 loops of the Newton Challenge but damn great job, Ray!

    Happy New Year, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year Nick...it's only 500 meters to finish line...hehe

      Delete
  9. Kudos to Super Ultra Ray for doing an Ultra distance that morning.. My goodness, I bet the 2 loops in Newton r like a walk in a park for your level Sifu... Full Respect!!!

    Trus membara semangat ini utk train giler2, jaga makan giler2 untuk acara2 gile babas tahun 2013 nih... Cayalaa Bro!!! The sky is our limit, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Aizat.

      Sky is the limit, never let anyone tell you otherwise :)

      Delete