"If you start to feel good during an ultra, dont' worry you will get over it."
Gene Thibeault
60 km- 3:57 am (50-60: 2:40 mins)
Woke up about an hour later feeling refresh and energize, funny thing was i heard this song playing on my head as soon as get up “Eye of the Tiger”.
I was pump up! No more blurred vision, now my eyes was bright as day :)
Met Kash and Zaki at the food and drink counter, and they’re ready to go. Zaki urged me join them! I told Zaki that i had just woken up and asked him to continue on running. “I catch you later”, i said jokingly – not sure how i’m gonna overcome the next 50km.
Asree and his support crews was nearby, they had almost everything - water, coca cola, 100plus, red bull, watermelons, pizza, nasi lemak etc. They kindly offered me nasi lemak and water, but i felt that i just can’t swallow any solid food at the time. Instead, I took a few pieces of cold watermelons, man it was heaven, the best watermelon in the world. Thanks Asree!
Running unites people and stranger become friends, it’s amazing, your support crews rocks dude!
I spent the next 15 mins getting ready to continue the final 50km, i took my Special Needs Bag from the counter, changed into new top, took my cap and sunglasses, revaselined my feet, top up my Camelbak, took Powergel and i was ready to rumble.
After thanking Asree and his crews for their kindness in sharing their food and drinks, off i went into the still of the night! The watch showed 2:30 am, i spent about 1:15 mins at the 50km aid-station, i got less than 8 hours to get to 90km check point before cut-off time (16 hours).
Now where is these guys – Kash, Zaki, Farid, Juliana; i was thinking while running. I pushed my pace faster, trying to catch up with loss time and hopefully finding someone to pace with.
The road leading out from Bedok Reservoir was quiet and eerie, i could see many walking Zombies now reaching for 50km check-point. I stopped running when i saw Nyoman, a Singaporean runner that i met last TUC event, i asked what happened and told him not to give up. He is a strong runner, he completed 100km in 16 hours last TUC, something was not going his way today, he got about 10 mins before 9 hours cut-off time at 50km.
I passed the Singapore Blade Runner after that, i couldn’t recognize him at first due to the dark road, cheered him on before continued running. I saw few runners sleeping on the park bench – they just ran out of juice, gave up and DNFed. The toll of running Ultramarathon, especially at night finally catches up with them. I have no doubts, that these brave warriors will be back next year – stronger!
I catches up with Dodo just after leaving Bedok Reservoir, near the main road leading to IKEA, he was moving slowly – i think his feet was trashed. Cheered him before moving on.
After 1:25 mins of running, i reached the 60km check point at 3:57 am.
I was mighty glad on seeing Mohan and his group. My spirit soared, and they just about to leave the check-point. I saw Puisan, Zaki and Kash on the other side of the road going towards 70km check point. I spent about 10 mins – toilet break, stretching, ate few oranges and drank a cup of stale 100plus before quickly moved on.
70km- 5:48 am (60-70: 1:51 mins)
Finally caught up with Mohan around 61km, and asked him to pace me, which he immediately obliged.
He pushed on a faster pace with his trademark whistle blowing run, man he’s got bundles of energy, i felt good – the pace was fast but a comfortably one.
I passed Kash and Zaki around 63km, they’re walking very fast at the time, i cheered and wished them luck.
Mohan finally stopped 65km and asked me continue on as he waited for his group. Thanks Mohan, i could always rely on him to get my spirit soared and get my running pace in order. It’s nearby Loyang Avenue when i saw someone imitating a robot! It was PuiSan. She was going fast even though doing the robotic power walk – i estimated it’s equivalent to my jogging pace. I was kind of bored, so i decided to pace with Pui San. When i approached her, i could heard a loud music coming from her MP3 player, she was on different planet – she was focus, steady and robotic..he he. Nothing gonna stop her today!
After overtaking her, i decided to walk and waited for her to pass me, and kept on waiting until she was leading a few streetlights before started to run and overtook her. This was going on until few km leading to the 70km check point. I decided to stopped at nearby 7-11 for Coca Cola, i need to replenish my sugar level. I was disappointed when they ran out of Coke bottles and cans, so i took redbull instead, as i was about to pay at the counter, i saw Big Gulp – and there was Coke there. Change of plan, i’m getting the biggest cup, it was the best Coke in the planet at that time – no contest!
The Coke was refreshing and fuel my run further, reached 70km check point at 5:48 am and took me 1:51 mins for this portion 10km run, including 10 mins at the 7-11.
80km - 7:13 am (70-80: 1:25 mins)
I found Pui San and Farid at the Water Station having a breather on the provided chairs. I was doing the routine plus getting my legs sprayed from medics, well it’s just me or the route was getting shorter returning back to Marina Barrage.
When i left the WS, Farid and Pui San was no longer there. I guess they couldn't wait to finish this long journey. Thankfully the whole journey has been kind to me, i had no problems except the sleepiness during the earlier part of the run, legs felt good and now i am running my happy pace, i felt more confident reaching the 100km as the miles goes on.
I caught up with Farid just before the road leading out from Changi Beach Park, Ida was doing good job pacing him. I pushed on faster pace on straight long road at Changi Coastal Road (nearby Changi Airport), it’s getting brighter now and the sun would come out soon.
Now i could see more walking zombies along the road, most of them just plain tired now. As i passed Juliana around 76 km marker, i could see she was having problems, her pace was slower by now, i cheered and asked if she ok; she responded wearily but you could see her determination to finish the race.
That straight route was the best 10km in whole journey, i felt like flaying (NOT) as the majority was walking. I overtook Zul Hassan soon after, cheered him and moved on.
This might be a mistake that i will paid later on by keeping this fast pace. I was excited to arrived finally at 80km mark, however no WS was located there. I been tricked, the WS was located further around 81-82km.
I finally arrived at the check point at 7:13 am, i completed 11-12km in 1:25 mins. Did the rituals and moved on. Farid arrived at the WS few minutes after.
90km - 8:51 am (80-90: 1:38 mins)
Farid spent just few minutes at the WS before continued his run, in fact he started first before i began my run and passed the timing mat for 80km mark. Farid urged me to pace together with him for the remainder of race. I was about to accept his offer when i found out my leg won’t cooperate! Oh oh, i can’t seem to move my feet to run, just could only walk and signalled Farid to moved on.
Darn it!
I guess that fast pace i did back then is now haunting me. Did i just ran my good race? I need to get to the next station before the cut off time at 10.00 am (16 hours), for the next 5-6 km i just walked, i wondered if i could make it in time by just walking all the way? This is suck because i suck at walking, i don’t do power walk! I just know how to run…fast.
It’s morning now in the East Coast Park, there were many runners doing their exercise plus groups people doing their morning Tai Chi. Many joggers upon seeing my bib, cheered me on to move faster. “Don’t give up” they said, “You’re doing great, keep running”, another jogger added. Total strangers cheered me, and i only wish that we have this kind of support back home in Malaysia during our races… maybe someday.
I spotted someone selling drinks nearby, hopefully there’s Coke somewhere in his ice box. Yay, rejoice! There were bottles of iced cold Coke inside, i paid the guy and continued walking while drinking my new found energy source. After i drank half of the content, i found back my running mojo! I could run…or pathetically mustered a slow jog. That’s good enough, i found Farid somewhere in front, it was about 87km, he was walking and i asked him to pace with me, i kept on holding to my pace as i was scared to stop and lost my ability to run.
Finally i could see the WS in front at 90km, i stepped on the timing mat at 8:51 am, 1:09 mins before cut-off time.
100km - 10:16 am (90-100: 1:25 min)
I was happy to reached the 90km mark, Farid waited for me while i was doing the rituals, after topping up my Camelbak for the last time with the stale 100plus. I went on pacing with Farid, Ida left us earlier to wait nearby the finishing line.
Around 92km, Farid stopped and walked, he urged me to continued running which i dully obliged as i was scared to stop and lost the momentum. I could muster more smiles now as i watched the distance marker grew higher and higher. I put on my cap and sunglasses as it’s getting hotter now.
I ran and walked a bit whenever i saw inclines, i wanna saved my energy for that final push. After entering the Golf course road, i knew i would see the final marker – 98 km anywhere soon. I was running faster now, i passed more runners now, i wondered why walked as you could smelled the victory within you grasp.
I choked with my emotions upon reaching the 98 km markers, i said please don’t cry, it’s just too damn near now, besides nobody want to see you crying like a mental nutcase at the road side.
I pushed the my emotions aside, as i kissed my kids photo for the last time. Now i ran even faster, in the final 10km i overtook 47 runners, i guess i was “feeding on love, running on emotions”. It was strange that i didn’t felt tired – just numb with emotions.
I was thinking yesterday that by this time today, i would be half dead running, but it did not happened, i felt comfortably strong and kept running with my happy pace.
I was smiling broadly now as i ran towards the bridge, there was someone before the bridge with a camera. It was Ida, as i approached her, i informed that Farid was walking behind to her dismay. I said don’t worry, he looked strong to finish this.
Now i was running on the bridge and entering the Marina Barrage. The sight was something to be hold and i would remember this moment in time for the rest of my life.
Supporters and earlier runners all lined up besides the road leading up to the finish line, they cheered for each and every runners arrived at the Marina Barrage. I could see Shine cheering for me on right side – thanks buddy.
I was ecstatic, i don’t know where the energy came from, but i ran all the way from the bottom of spiral towards the upper floor where the finish line was.
I took my kids photo and kissed it, then i placed it sky high as ran passed the finishing tape, this run was dedicated to my kids – my rock! Sorry Ijam, i didn’t cried. It was a grand finish, worth once in a life time experience.
I completed in 16 hours 16 mins (net time), friends fought their demon and finished the race one by one after that. Congrats to all finisher, you are now part of history and a group of elite runners in the inaugural Sundown Ultramarathon 100km Hall of Fame
Photo log:-
Approaching the last few clicks
Running on the bridge, entering Marina Barrage




alah...kenape tak beli coke utk i jugak kat 7-11?!?!?!?!?!
ReplyDeleteDeo: Next year buat summary je
ReplyDeletePS: doc next year i beli utk u, wait for me at 70km :p
Awesome. You did it despite the obstacles !
ReplyDeleteNanges lagi sob sob. Well done my friend and travelling partner many times now. The riad ahead is wide open for you. Sky's the limit. See you here, same time, same place with a coke in hand.
ReplyDeleteI swear the 3rd picture up there gives you an angelic glow ... Still human ke tau dah jadik otoromeng Ray?
SDU Trilogy by Rayray adalah sangat best!!! Congrats dude :)
ReplyDeleteKJ: thanks, i guess there will be more RBUs Otoromen next year :)
ReplyDeleteYim: Jangan nanges Yim, nanti i pengsan tengok Pui San :) Yelah Yim, mcm bukan orang pulak..he he
Aini: thanks, sila update belog anda ya, ramai nak baca kisah larian baju kebaya :)
Khatam jua akhirnya. Syabas, superb feat and even more superb reporting.
ReplyDeleteGambo last tu adlin aman ramlee ka?
HZ
Thanks Haza, syukran i made it without any injuries or cramps, just lost few toenails :)
ReplyDeleteLagi penat tulis dari lari...
He he gambar last mcm AAR, tapi i lagi manco dari AAR :))
tahniah ray, aku ingat dah komen, tapi belum rupanya. Komen tu utk 2012 punya la kot..
ReplyDeleteNanti tunjuk lagi gaya robot pui san mcm kau buat ari tu...boleh copycat dgn copydog..
Tq sebab tolong aku tempah hari, kalau tak aku keras takleh bangun lepas mandi sebab krem.
ReplyDelete