I ran TNF 100 SG, two weeks after i completed the Berlin Marathon as the fastest Malaysian finisher. Friday, 12th October was one of those big day in my Ultra running career.
It’s been said that running trail Ultra is far more challenging than running road Ultra, almost twice as difficult.
I actually have low expectation to finish this gruelling 100km race based on my horrible experience running 100km Duo category last year.
The statistics of high percentage of DNF (100km solo) in past editions (including some of the best trail runners in the region) does not help my cause at all.
But the one thing that gave me a glimmer of hope was the cut off time – the organizer decided to extend the cut off time from 18 hours to 20 hours.
My traveling partner for this race edition is none other than ULTRARMAN (read: Ultramarathoner Arman). He’s one pure Ultra runner, being quite new to running endurance race; he does have this quiet confident persona, plus he really got balls of steel!
Respectful and humility – these are the traits of what i called a Superfriend. He chose to ran his first 100km solo at the toughest and gruelling Ultra in the region – at the Craze Ultra. I never doubt his ability and respects his bravery to finish his 100km when many others just gave up in the soaring heat of that historic race.
Race kit collection at Novena Square. Photo below with Hong Kong runners.
We took the midnight bus from KL (TBTS) and arrived early! – 4 am. We took shelter and fulfilled our Subuh prayer at the local mosque before collecting our TNF’s race kit at Novena Square. After a quick lunch at nearby food court, we made a bee line towards Mac Ritchie Reservoir and check-in at “Hotel Mac Ritchie”.
There, we rested and sleep, before the big race later that night. I ate Nasi Goreng at 6 pm then continued sleeping. I woke up later around 900 pm, get myself readied. Then at 10 pm Arman and i walked to the race site. My race – 100km solo starts at 11:00 pm (Friday night), while Arman and Cikgu Syed 50km race starts the next day at 6:45 am.
When i arrived at start line, the atmosphere was electrifying. One could see many strong international trail runners, including Malaysia’s own Jimmy Tee – fresh from winning TMBT 100km few weeks earlier.
Met with the Freedom Freaks family and the camwhoring session soon started, it does take off my mind from the impending race.
After weighting my Camelbak (2.2 kg) and registered, i deposit the rest of my bags/change of shoes/clothes at special 100km runners’ tent, near the finish line.
I then made my way towards the Start line. This year, the organizer decided to separate the Start and Finish line unlike last year edition.
At the start line, i though to myself – shit! I’m screwed! I haven’t done single trail training since Berlin – and now i’m going to start 100km trail any moment soon. I was planning to do a few of FRIM trails before going to SG, but work and family commitment limited my trainings.
I think i added another rookie mistake – wearing a brand new shoes!
I bought Salomon trail shoes a week before the race and managed only to run 20km in it (road surface).
It’s a risk i know, i could get blisters or the shoes might not suit me, and running 100km race is not the place to test new gear!
BUT, the Salomon shoes was a perfect match for my feet – i felt during those odd 20km road training.
It’s damn comfortable!
I shall soon find out if it’s the same comfortable feeling running in the trail, as a backup i stored another trail Shoes (Adidas Response Trail 19) at 100km runners’ changing tent.
Escorted to the start line by King Sam. It felt like V.I.P. :)
At the start line of my 7th Ultra (3rd 100km race)
My strategy for this race is to run 7 hours the first 50km and 9 hours for the final 50km, that should be around estimated 16 hours finish time.
After Sundown Ultramarathon 100km and TNF100 km Thailand, this is another historic race that i ran together with Sarongman Yim. It’s a good omen, to start running with Yim. We had successful 100km run before this. It’s a piece of mind to have a good friend running together.
The race finally started at 11:00 pm, after said a little du’a/prayer, i set off with comfortable pace. At the back of my mind, i was thinking at least i’m brave enough to do this! NO regrets and NO “what if” in the future!
I started the race with comfortable pace.
It was pitch dark entering the trails, i put my light around my waist for easy navigation. I need to remember to buy more powerful headlight next time running at night. The free headlight given is not powerful enough for trail night run.
I was running a bit slow whenever i ran on the rock or loose gravel, i dare not risking falling down or injuring my leg in this early part of the race. I even walked on darker area of the trail. I let the other runners overtook me, these guys either knows what they’re doing or just risking injuries! Found out after the race, there’s few runners DNF due to injuries falling down during the run.
The route from MacRitchie Reservoir Nature Trail through Lornie Track was dark, slippery and quite dangerous (at certain point it’s better to take your time and walked through it).
I made it to CP 4 just before the Rifle Range Road, it was easy so far. Glad now there’s light at the water station and plus the street lights. Stopped and drank 100plus at the water station, before proceeding to next WS at CP3. I ran all the way on the road to make up lost time running the dark trail earlier. The distance between these two CP wasn’t far, reached the CP3 easily before entering the Durian loop.
Upon entering the dark trail, i was running with a group consist of five guys. It was dark and no one know for sure which direction to take as the signage went missing. Yim caught up with me here. I decided to unfold the route map given before the race in making sure we’re not lost. If i took the wrong direction, it will cost precious time later on.
Identified the correct route and proceed to the next CP. I ran with the group on the old KTM track, it was still dark. But running with these guys increase my spirit.
On reaching CP 2, i noticed the first runner was already turning back. Dang, he was fast! We’re high fived each other before i stopped at the Water station and refill my Camelbak with 100plus.
The guys running with me earlier was long gone, spread out either in front or behind me. I still felt good, the weather was nice and cooling. I need to run faster to take advantage of the night weather, it’s gonna be scorching hell tomorrow!
After CP2, i was running alone in the dark through Zhenghua and Gangsa track. Upon arriving CP1, after running the Mandai road, i felt the sleepiness getting worst. At the WS someone gave me a can of Red Bull.
At CP1, it’s 3 am and i was sleepy.
I drank it quickly coz i knew i needed the caffeine boost for the climb of Hill 265. I was pretty glad to complete the Mandai loop in the middle of the night, where the weather was nice – actually it was 3:00 am in the morning. The worst of the first loop was over – i was relief. Now it’s just a run towards the start line to complete my first loop.
Running back around Bukit Timah Trail, i realised that i was running alone again in the dark. Then it hits me, what if “someone” in form of “Kak Limah” block and standing in the middle of the road. Sheeet!!! My hair behind my neck goes up and i got goose bumps while running those dark creepy trail!
I tried to clear my mind by reciting du’a and zikr, it works.
I realised at that moment of clarity, that i should be grateful to be able to do the things i loves most – pursuing my passions. It was a beautiful feelings – running under the stars and around nature, i felt closer to god.
Finally i saw some clearing after the dark creepy trail, it’s a bit hilly. I ran towards it coz i knew the Rifle range road is just up ahead.
All of sudden my feet stopped!
I saw something lying down on side of the road up ahead! Damn!
My Zikr became louder!
I braved myself walking towards the object, as i was getting closer it resembles a human form.
It was Sallehan! The 3:30 Marathon runner, he was clad in black and updating his facebook status with his mobile phone.
Man you’re scaring me!!
He said he was sleepy and decided to lie down and rest, while FBing. He asked whether i was sleepy, i replied that that Red Bull i took earlier does the trick – i was no longer sleepy!
I passed Sallehan and ran towards the brighter side of Rifle Range road, i don’t plan to spend a minute longer in the dark. After 200 meters, Sallehan overtook me – easy! Dang this guy is fast.
I arrived at CP 4 in good spirits, top up my Camelbak with 100plus and said thanks to the volunteer and said i’ll be back tomorrow for my second loop.
I completed my first loop (50km) with the timing of 7:09 hours, it was 6:09 am. Asree from Freedom Freaks was there with a ice cold Coca Cola. Thanks Asree for the invaluable supports!
Yay, time to top up my sugar level intake. Arman and Cikgu Syed was there greeting me, high fived them as they’re waiting for their 50km Start at 6:45 am.
I was on target in completing my first loop (50km) around 7 hours and before the 50km runners start. Now to continue running the final 50km within 9 hours, as i strategized earlier in my effort to complete TNF 100km in 16 hours target time.
I was looking around for Kash – my Nasi Lemak breakfast. But she was nowhere to be found. I decided to head straight to special changing tent for 100km runners for some R n R. I met Yim there, he’s been there quite sometime i could tell. I located my bag and straight away changed my top (Garmin cycling jersey) and CW-X compression pant. I decided to stick with Salomon Trail Shoes as i felt great running in it.
I took 34 minutes at that special tent. I made my way towards the start line for my second loop, i still couldn’t locate Kash – there’s goes my breakfast.
The 50km runners were all ready assemble at start line, eager to start their race. Met Mohan, Frank, Mun, Arman, Cikgu Syed – high fived them and soaking all the motivations for the final 50km.
As i made my way towards the Start line, many runners start clapping and tapped my shoulder congratulating and giving me supports. It was a nice feeling, after 7 hours of running – this is all that i needed to finish this race.
I started the second loop 2 minutes before the 50km runners were flagged off. It’s getting brighter now, as i made my way towards the trail; the 50km runners all caught up with me – they were running fast! I decided to walk and gave them some space to overtake – their pace is too fast and the trail became too crowded for me to run my comfortable pace.
Start of second loop. 50km runners on the right ready to start.
Many friends, especially the Malaysian runners passed and said hi to me. There were Amsyah, Catman, James Wong, Frank, Arman, Cikgu Syed, Faris, Ian and others.
As i didn’t took breakfast, i decided to consume Powergel to fuel my run. The trails are now clearly visible compared to last night. I can run faster now as i can see all the rocks, tree roots and holes around the trail.
Spot the odd runner in white bib.
Around Rifle Range road i caught up with Ben Swee, he was walking this 50km race all the way as he was recovering from injuries/illness. He congratulated me on sub-4 finishing time at Berlin Marathon a week earlier. Coming from a Boston finisher, that was super nice.
I run and caught up with Ian around old KTM track and decided to pace his group, including Faris and Lorraine. It’s nice to have company while running sometimes.
Leaving old KTM track route into Dairy Farm route.
Nearing Mandai, i saw Yim just completed the boring loop around Mandai Lake Road, high fived each other. Noticed Yim was pale and was suffering greatly, i guess he’s still recovering from his back-to-back-to-back-to-back Marathons (every week).
I looked at my watch after completing my loop, Yim was ahead 15 minutes. I was running stronger and motivated to clear this last Man Die route, i made clear that this would be my last TNF SG. No more Man Die after this…ever!
The sun was out and it’s getting hot, i caught up with Arman before the road cross at Mandai Road going towards the CP1. I asked him to run faster! Get out of sun before it zapped our energy.
At last i saw Kash parked before the CP1, there was iced cold Coca Cola and sandwich – i took shelter from the sun at Kash’s car while munching down the sandwich with Coke…thanks a million Kash for supporting us runners. We’re gonna missed you badly when you finally move to Ausralia.
Arman arrived soon after at Kash’s Haven, i told him to finish off Hill 265 quickly, then you’ll be home free. I left and continue running, i was refreshed by that iced Cold Coke and running strong towards Lorong Asrama and that wretched hill.
In Ultramarathon race, normally good form doesn’t last – you’ll hit rock bottom somewhere around the race. After few kilometres into Lorong Asrama, it hit me! I can’t run any longer, the sun was getting hotter, my energy was zapped, i was walking now like a zombie. These Mandai area is shade less and with wide open space, there’s nowhere to hide from the sun.
I finally made it to the bottom of Hill 265, i remembered that last night i climbed this hill without any problems. Now it’s totally different story, i was struggling and fighting to finish this race. I conquered that Hill for the second time not without a sacrifice – the hill took a lot from me, i was hanging on by the skin of my teeth.
There’s a guy with 4WD at the top of the hill, he offered us runners mineral water to drink and to wash our faces. It felt better but i was already deep in the rut. I could only muster a weak run followed by a long walk. This is not good – my race was in jeopardy.
I was mighty glad to left behind the Man Die route and going into the wood/trails again. I tried to consume Powergel – but it came out as soon as it got in. I was puking badly, with no fuel intake and only depends on 100plus and snickers bars, my race was getting bad to worst. I just hope i don’t DNF this, especially after conquering the Mandai route hell!
But it’s all change, when i arrived at Rifle Range road tarmac, i tried to run and managed it somehow.
I got back my running momentum, i’m back from the dead!
I was back running this race again, i pushed on faster pace to compensate the lost time. I arrived at CP 4 like i promised to the volunteers last night. They cheered wildly when they saw me.
If you run TNF SG, CP4 is where a big rock located in front of it’s WS. This where i met Shine last year during TNF, he was doing 100km solo; while i attempted my first TNF (50km). While sitting on that rock mending his trashed feet, he told me or rather poison me “Harimau you must do this 100km next year, it’s a lot of fun”.
I smiles looking at that rock, i’m doing it, unbelievably i’m gonna finish this soon. Thanks for the support and belief Shine, even though sometimes i doubt myself.
After CP4 i was going into the trail running through the Golf course and towards the finish line, it’s about 10km to the finish line. I was running faster now and motivation to finish this TNF race is high. I don’t know where the energy came from and i’m afraid to slow down coz i might loose this good running momentum.
That was the best 10km of this race for me, all the runners that i overtook was super supportive. “All the way man”, “Go go go”, “You got this”. I loves these guys, we (ultra runners) have nothing but mutual respects.
Going out of the Chemperai trail was the best, coz the finish line was about 1km away. Running towards the finish line was epic, all the Freaks family was there at the side of the finish line.
When they saw me coming towards the finish line, they stood up and came down to high fived me – Sam E, Nyoman, Unicorn and others were there. Asree took my photos at finish line, thanks bro your endless support is priceless.
That was one of the most memorable finish in my running career. I completed my 7th Ultra in 16:01 hours, just missing 1 minute from the target time.
- 50km (1st loop) – 7:09
- Rest 34 mins
- 50km (2nd loop) – 8:20 hours
- Total 100km = 16:01 hours
- Position no 32/65.
- 18 runners DNF
Lesson learnt:
- Consumed 5 Powergel for 100km race / 20km for each Gel (Not enough fuel)
- Need to consume solid food for Ultra. Gels, Mars bar is not enough.
- Salomon shoes is the best for running trail. Period!

Sangat epic dan awesome!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!
Thanks Lina...bak biskut London sikit :)
DeletePi la wat London Marathon... biskut London banyak kat sana. kes3
DeleteCongrats bro.. the best trip for me so far..
ReplyDeleteJgn lupa pakcik sarip dol..
Anyway.. more to come..
Kuchalana, your name sounds familiar..macam pernah dengar suami sebut2. True enough, he said he once hiked up Gunung Nuang with you. Tadi I tengok your blog, ada gambar dia jugak :). Ada gambar kaki dia kena pacat jugak hehe
DeleteAmilita.. is it Naza?
DeleteIf yes then we did Nuang together last year..
Small world..
Yes it's Nadza :). Yup, blog FB Twitter makes the world even smaller..
Deletehebat! tahniah bro.
ReplyDeleteThanks MatJoe :)
Deletesoalan noob, kencing ngan berak tang mana? guna tandas along the way ka.
Deleteni blog post malakoff run aku. first of more to come insyaAllah
http://www.matjoe.com/2012/12/malakoff-kl-run-2012.html
Ada disediakan porta loo disetiap CP. Very clean.
DeleteJangan carik pasai buang merata..hehe
Tahniah Ray. I cannot imagine how you must have felt. I've never ran trail, not even 10K.
ReplyDeleteOh ya last weekend I went running at Putrajaya. Masa nak dekat habis I saw someone running the opposite way, somehow I thought the person looked like you. Tapi I pun tak pernah jumpa you in person, and I'm slightly rabun anway :P
Thanks Amilita.
DeleteYou should try trail someday, bring lina hangat with you :P
Yes i ran 21km LSD last Saturday nite at PoJ, say hi next time. I don't bite :)
Oh I salah orang la. Hehe. I ran Sunday morning, Masjid Putra to PICC and back. Lina Hangat pun lari pagi tu tapi tak bertembung sebab start lain2 :P.
DeleteDia ni night owl la Millie. Tak pun dia lari pepagi buta sebelum subuh ni. kes3
DeleteI pun tak pernah terserempak dgn dia kat Putrajaya. Abg macho lain ada la... sumer friendly. Ha3
But mungkin sebab I selalu lari bila matahari dah tinggi. ;p Prektis Ultra, kekononnya. wakaka
p.s. Tuan Razif, soory ye your PA banyak meraban jawabkan comment orang ini hari. ;p
Bagus PA ni. Tahun depan naik gaji :p
DeleteCONGRATZ ULTRA RAY... YOUR STORY IS TRULY REALLY INSPIRED ME TO SIGN UP FOR MY 1ST ULTRA TMBT 2013..MUST TRAIN HARDER FOR THIS ULTRA TRAIL THINGY NIH... A VISIT TO GUNUNG NUANG N FRIM TRAILS IS A MUST! HEHE =D
ReplyDeleteThanks EV. Train hard, see u at start line TMBT 2013
Deletewow.. u really have lost weight.. like A LOT! i compare ur recent pix with last yr one..
ReplyDeleteThanks Sid. Why don't u try this next year. 25km category would be a good start.
Deleteoh my goodness, what an athlete you are! this is incredible. I'm speechless, CONGRATS!!
ReplyDeleteOh and, the socks are Pro Compression socks. I've heard about it time and time again from runners, so I needed to get myself a pair!
Thanks TR.
DeleteOh i don't think we have that brand here in Malaysia, mostly 2XU, CWX, Skins etc
You are an awesome inspiration. Keep on running!!!! =D
ReplyDelete