Thursday, January 2, 2014

Reflection Of 2013: My Year Of Running


Life Without Limit – Chrissie Wellington

1456555_599245570112376_120679010_n

Summary of Races in 2013

3 Ultra Marathon

  • Gunung Nuang Endurance Run (50km)
  • TNF100 Philippines (100km)
  • Sundown Ultra Marathon (100km)

4 Full Marathon

  • Hatyai Marathon
  • Borneo International Marathon (BIM)
  • Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon (SCKLM)
  • Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS)

3 DNS & 3 DNF

 

20140102

MEDAL TALLY

Only 9 medals from 19 registered events. Less medals haul compared to past years but I’m at a happy place, I’m content with less medals.

Medals does not define me as a runner, completion of races or rather DNF in races does say something about me as a runner. I’m now at ease and beyond medals collecting era, I have bunch of those medals anyway stored in a box somewhere. The valuable experiences doing the races, especially running the beautiful trail is what I treasured most.

I started 2013 with one big race in my mind – the legendary Leadville trail 100 in Colorado, USA. Spent 8 months preparing with big volumes in mileage, Nuang mountain trail and at least 15 hours per week time on feet running.

In between that, I completed the gruelling TNF100 Philippines, all the “uphell” around Baguio Mountain almost killed me. By year end, I completed four (4) FM and a 100km road Ultra at SD100 SG. On my peak training program, I ran a marathon distance LSD on most weekends. 3,025km was my running mileage for 2013 (races and training).

Two Trans-Nuang project was done for my Leadville and TNF HK training, awesome trail from Pangsun-Nuang Summit-Janda Baik. Some of the guys recommend that we extend the next Trans-Nuang project up until Genting Sempah, which would make up to 50km distance all the way back. Awesome plan for 2014.

RUNNING TOOK ME PLACES

It’s true, if you don’t travel it’s like you only reading a chapter of a book! There is a big world out there, waiting for to be explore.

In 2013, for the first time ever I went to Stateside, the Philippines and Hong Kong. If not for the passion of running, I am sure I’ll be stuck in my comfortable zone at home instead of looking for adventure elsewhere.

The Philippines has a lot of beautiful mountain trails to offer, their ultra-runners are tough as nail. Baguio area is where tough ultra-runners is born in Philippines.

I was lucky to share the trails with these awesome runners during TNF100 Philippines and made a lot of new friends. I will be back in Philippines soon enough.

My first visit to Stateside, I went to Colorado – beautiful Rockies Mountain. I think I fell in love with Colorado as soon as I arrived, those mountains had a spell on me. You couldn’t get enough of running the mountains and looking at it. I was lucky to had the chance to scaled one of the 14er – Mt. Sherman 4,280 m / 14,043 ft.

Running the legendary Leadville trail was like a dream comes true. People around here are nice and respectful, even the most accomplished Ultra runners that I met was very humble. I could see myself living here someday.

Hong Kong was a different challenge, you need a tough mental attitude to endure all those millions of stairs in the trail. TNF100 trail route was technical but fast, I’ll be back soon to finish the unfinished business.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

2013 was a testing year for me, after a streak of multiple finishers in Marathon/Ultra Marathon, finally I met with DNF, not once but three times.

LT100, Powerman Malaysia and TNF100 HK.

Those are my “unfinished business”.

I really learn to let go my ego the hard way. I’m starting to love my DNF, I’m sure it will make me tough as nail someday.

To rise beyond DNF took a lot of courage and confidence, I accepted all my failures and DNF like a man. I don’t blamed others but me, I owned my failures and DNF.

I’m beginning to see the silver lining beyond DNF, it’s like starting all over again. A fresh start!

Sure I have doubts, but I love being an underdog. I relish these challenges, especially when it said that it CANNOT be done. My mantra in this situation would be “just watch me!”

2014 would be the year I banish my fears and just let go my running emotions. This year it would be a great year, coz I will have more heart in pursuing the “unfinished business”.

So just watch me ……

2 comments: