“Start the race full of fears but hold nothing back”
CP5 to CP1 (10km)
Kirk Wadsworth gave me a sign to pace together for the second loop.
There’s no point staying longer at CP5 in the hot sun. I refilled by coca cola and water, wet my hair with iced cold sponge and off we went running in the hot sun.
It’s only 11:30ish, but the sun was merciless hot.
I tried to keep up with Kirk pace, slowly but surely I was slowing down. I let Kirk go with his own pace.
It’s more walking than running in the second part for me. More than an hour later I reached CP1 for the second time that day.
I quickly top up water and ate more watermelons, the bananas served here was somewhat greenish in color, giving the impression that it’s still not ripe to eat. I’m not taking chances of getting stomach ache later on, so I left the bananas untouched.
Distance Covered: 10km
Accumulative Distance: 60km
Time Taken: 1:27 (1:06 pm)
Accumulative Time: 8:06
CP1 to CP2 (10km)
It’s getting much hotter now, but I had worse at Craze Ultra in Singapore previously. This is nothing compared to the two days of sun i endured during that 100 mile race.
I need to complete a loop before attacking the “Frodo Hill”, as I was ascending the trail I bumped into Laslo. He said run faster “Razif”, nice to exchange motivation here. He was looking good and running strong, Kirk then followed his lead.
As I was about to complete the loop and descending towards the WS, I finally met Cikgu Mat. I was surprised coz i thought he was in front. He said that he took longer breaks at CP5.
As I returned back to the Water Station, I saw Cikgu Syed and Nik Nasrallah taking a break there. KA Junior would later arrived at the WS. We chat a bit before a made my move toward the Frodo hill.
I was painfully slow on the hill this time around, a runner from China overtook me on the hill. He was only wearing a sandal, I couldn’t imagine the blisters he would accumulate at the end of this race.
Coming down from the Frodo hill, I had a nasty cramps attack on my right calves. It left me paralysed sitting down between those rocks. I was all alone, no runners insight. It took me a good 10 minutes sitting down in an awkward position before the cramp finally went away. Silly of me, I forgot again to consume salts pills…urghh stupid mistakes!
Due to the heat, I couldn’t eat properly. In other word, i had no appetite to eat, too tired to care – my mind was dead tired due to the sun.
I continued on walking and running soon after that nasty cramps, I looked back and saw a runner and Cikgu Mat in the horizon.
Finally the runner arrived at my side, she look strong. Her name was Lindui from Netherland, she said it was her first 100km. We paced together after that till the next CP. She was worried about not making it in time to finish the race. Based on my experiences running Ultra, I said we would finish within 16 hours if we keep on moving forward.
Still the sun still up there burning us runners, we reached the next CP/WS which located under row of trees more than 2 hours later.
Rejoice, I found Gatorade in my drop bag.
Distance Covered: 10km
Accumulative Distance: 70km
Time Taken: 2:28 (3:34 pm)
Accumulative Time: 10:34
CP2 to CP4 (21km)
I was getting weaker now, I had nothing but endless sugary liquid fuel – Coca Cola, 3 gels and 2 Cliff Bar. I couldn’t eat more food, kept on vomiting – a really bad day for me at the “office”.
Lindui and two other runners was ahead of me, gosh these runners they still have legs to run. I know at the time that I really need to dig deep and depend on my past Ultra experiences to get me through this one hot race.
More sands got into my shoes, i had to stop to get the sands out from my shoes. It’s freaking annoying.
Finally, I reached the tarmac going downhill to CP3. Now it’s the opportunity to make lost time while ascending the previous trail, I ran all the way downhill to the CP3. Lindui and the others runners was about to leave the CP/WS when i arrived.
The cut-off at CP3 was at 8pm, i’m pretty glad to reach here around 5ish pm.
Now, it’s another 2km loop before going into the dreaded jungle maze afterwards.
I met Laszlo and Kirk again here, as I was running into the loop. They was about to finished the loop and will be going into the jungle maze. Kirk said to me “it was brutal loop mate”, I replied “well then I better make move now”.
I high fived these guys before running into the trail loop.
My feet was hurting more now, thankfully my knees was behaving good all day. The sun was having a field day, shone its hot merciless ray from 8:30am till 6:15 pm, more than 10 hours pure agony running under the hot sun. More than an hour later, I painstakingly finished the loop.
I turn left to CP3, to top up my bottles and put on my bandanna and Petzl Headlamp. It will get dark soon.
I saw a runner sat down at CP3, his head was down. As soon as I arrived, he approached me. “Are you Thai runner?” he asked.
“No sir, I’m from Malaysia”, I replied.
He gave me his gel and Cliff Bar, he added “Here you need this, I’m finished here”.
I was stunned by his kindness, see more good Karma !
The sun and toughness of this new route beaten many strong runners that day, but I salute his spirit to challenge himself running 100km.
Trying to stay well hydrated and avoid heat stroke is another challenge in this race. My pee was yellow all the time, no matter how much I drank. After the race, I found out a runner was taken to the nearest Hospital after he suffered heatstroke during the race.
“Only 20km to go”, I said to myself.
My spirit was getting higher now, I quickly shake the runner’s hand and bid him farewell.
Off I went, running towards the jungle maze with my renewed energy and motivation.
Finally the sun is gone!
And finally I got back my mojo and can run faster now, no more heat!
It’s dark in the jungle, now I need the light from my Petzl Nao to shine me the way.
My feet was hurting more now, I was in a “dark” place emotionally.
In my mind, I opened a box and put all my pains inside the box and locked it. Then, I throw away the key!
I felt nothing, I felt numb, no more pain. Now I can focus on my running.
If you strong enough, you can trick your mind and chase away your pains.
As night goes on, I realised I was running alone in the dark trail. It’s better now, the air is cooler in the trail. I recited Zikr all the way in the dark jungle, it felt good to be running in the dark.
It’s just you and nature, amazingly I did not felt afraid running in the dark jungle. I embraced the trail, the hill, the jungle and my surroundings. I really feel that I belong in there somehow.
Funny thing though, it felt faster going into the trail for the second time. Maybe because of the darkness, my focus was only running forward. Sooner than I thought I was out of the trail, the park rangers on the motorbike was inside the trail helping me to light the dark trail. Thank you so much for taking care of me, i profusely thanks all of them.
Finally I reached the final CP/WS. There were many volunteers at this aid station at the time. I guess they already closed the other CP/WS.
Distance Covered: 21km
Accumulative Distance: 91km
Time Taken: 4:12 (7:46 pm)
Accumulative Time: 14:46
CP4 to Finish (9km)
Someone put a reflective green stick at the back of my hydration bag. It’s for my safety running at night. Thank you volunteers and park rangers.
Now it’s about 4km of tarmac before entering the trail head, I was getting emotional for this final stage.
I was in a mixed of emotions, elated because the 100km run is almost over and hurting because of the sun, trail, inability to eat more – but mostly due to the sun. But I determined to finish this run at all cost.
I ran all the way on the tarmac, there was a Thai wedding reception besides the road and I also remembered that I high fived more kids along the way.
Now I was walk-running in the last few km of sandy trail, it felt the longest time on this trail. I was careful to see all the non-reflective markers, I really don’t want to get lost at this final stage of the run.
The volunteers and park rangers were inside the dark trail, helping runners getting to their final destination – the Finish Line.
Finally I reached the final kilometers of tarmac road going to Simalin, the finish line.
I was hungry, tired and had nothing left at that moment. Still I push on, run or rather slow jog all the way to finish line. I was singing to get my motivations up all the way from CP4, I guess I covered all the songs from Wings’ Hukum Karma and Teori Domino albums.
I don’t know what got into me, the final 2 km I was in tears. I was thinking about why I start running in the first place, thinking about my boys and how badly I misses them.
I ran this far only to get close to my boys, that’s my only reason running all this crazy distances.
At last, I could hear noises and bright light from the Finish line.
As I entered the final few meters to the finish line, the announcer said my name and country. That was a grand finish for me. A conclusion of a very long day, i was emotionally and physically drained.
I crossed the finish line in 16:13 at #33 as overall 100km finisher.
I got down to my knees and kiss the ground (sujud syukur), thanking god that kept me safe all day long. I didn’t fight the hills nor the route, I embraced all the experiences and challenges – especially the sun and making it an unforgettable chapter in my book of life.
I finish thankfully without injuries, just a small blisters due to the sand inside my socks. My Sense Ultra was a total lost after this race! My GPS watch recorded 102km, including 2km of getting lost in the trail.
In the past, I had Shine waiting for me at finish line for support. Now I had Cikgu Fath, Khairi Muin and the others waiting for me and other Malaysian runners at finish line. Thanks a million for your support guys!
Distance Covered: 9km
Accumulative Distance: 100km
Time Taken: 1:27 (9:13 pm)
Accumulative Time: 16:13
This was surely an unforgettable race for me, a tough one. I suffered multiple cramps attack throughout the race.
I had run TNF100km Singapore, Philippines, TNF HK and TNF Thai 2012. I never had multiple cramps like these and puking so many times that i lost count doesn't help either.
It was really a bad day for me to run a 100km race, I was beyond spent on the final 50km. I got nothing left but sheer determination and supports from fellow runners to get me through to the finishing line.
My highest congratulations to the organiser of TNF100 Thailand, Mr. Chaiyut and his staff. I personally thanked the Race Director, Roman after race for making this the toughest 100km trail race in Thailand – with 58% DNF rate you better respect the distance and the sun!
Roman have made a monster of 100km race, which i am happy to participate and proudly finish with my blood, sweats and tears.
With a broad smile on my face i leave the "The Land of Smiles" pleasantly tired. I hope to come back and repeat this enjoyable pain at TNF100 Thai 2015.
Gears used for the race:
- Shoes – Salomon S-Lab Sense Ultra
- Salomon Exo Calf
- Salomon S-Lab Exo Twinskin Short
- Salomon S-Lab Exo Zip Tee
- Salomon Skin Pro 10+3 Hydration bag
- Petzl Nao Headlamp
TNF100 Thailand Statistics.
REGISTERED -161
STARTERS - 117
FINISHER - 49
DNF - 68
DNS - 44
49 finishers from 161 registered.
49 finisher from 117 starters. (Men 42, Women 7)
41.88% Finisher | 58.12% DNF Rate
2,400 elevation gain
100 km trail race
18 hours cut-off time
The toughest 100km in Thailand
Start: 5:00 am (Saturday, 8 Feb 2014)
Cut-off time: 11:00 pm (Saturday, 8 Feb 2014)
No comments:
Post a Comment