Training Days.
“Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience” – Paulo Coelho
I was supposed to do this race back in 2013, I even secured a 100km slot on the wait list. Somehow due financial constraints, I decided to give it a miss and focus my race on Leadville 100. Then in 2014, the organiser change the route and made it harder. I decided to wait and read the race reviews before deciding to finally do it in 2015.
Sometimes, it’s the wait and anticipation that worth it in the end. I begin my trail season with TNF100km in Thailand at the end of January. That was a tough race for me, I injured my knee in the beginning of that race. Somehow, I successfully brought my sorry ass to cross the finish line in the end.
I begin to train harder for TNF100 Australia right after that misfortune race. Every free weekends would see me training up and down Mt Nuang (1,493m), and throw in few Trans Nuang session in the midst of it.
Weekdays, I would do a daily 10km run after work with steps repeats in the middle of the run. Some nights, I spend an hour doing steps repeats. More frequently as the days of the race goes nearer.
Project Trans Titiwangsa V1 was also included as part of training for this race, I went with fews friend and completed the route from Ulu Kinta, Perak to Cameron Higland, Pahang after 25 hours of fast hiking. We conquered few mountains in between – Mt. Korbu (2183m), Mt. Gayong (2173m), Mt. Junction (2088m) & Mt. Yong Belar (2181m).
Nutricient wise, I met Prof. Dr. Hazreen (Expert Dietician) from PPUM, Sports Clinic for his expert advice for the race strategy. After discussing with him few times, I changed my overall diet and race strategy for this race. I normally bonked and vomited after halfway of my previous ultramarathon race. The good Doctor asked me to lay off from carbonated drink such as Coca Cola & 100 plus, there goes my precious Coke. He suggested that I try Redbull to replace Coca Cola as my favourite energy drink.
In addition, I found new product to test for this race – Carbo Pro (Powdered Complex Carbo). I tested during my Mt Nuang trainings and it suited me tremendously. I decided to throw the dice and use Carbo pro as my main source of energy for TNF100 Australia race. Thank you Rupert & Dr. Pui San for your recommendation.
Then few weeks before the race, I found myself down with fever all week long after returned from working outstation. That two weeks was supposed to be my training’s peak weeks. There goes two weeks worth of training mileage into the drain. Sometimes you need to look for silver lining in the dark sky. It so happened those two weeks that I was absent from my Mt Nuang training, tragedy struck – first there was the captured of wanted Militants in the jungle of Nuang and then an unfortunate hiker passed away at Camp Pacat due to heart failure. Thankfully I listened to my weak body and rested that weekend. Always, always listened to your body – I said to myself.
I left for Sydney five days before the race with my lack of training mileage and a big dent in my overall confidence. I was hoping that my training foundation and Mt. Nuang training would be enough for me to finish the race. Always doubts creeping in at the last minutes, well it’s too late to do anything now. Just do the best of what I can do on race day – hustle till the end, I said to myself trying self-motivate.
Running for a cause “Save Our Rainforest”
Once again, I’m honored to represent PEKA (Pertubuhan Pelindung Khazanah Alam Malaysia) and run this race with a cause "Save Our Rainforest". My aim is to promote awareness on the PEKA’s initiative “Save Our Rainforest”.
PEKA MALAYSIA is an NGO which was formed to stop the destruction of natural resources, to defend the rights of environment and be the voice of nature. We aim to create awareness about nature, sound health, preservation and the sustenance of the environment. PEKA means sensitive in “Malay” language and is rightly suitable towards its course. Thank you Puan Sri Shariffa Sabrina Syed Akil and PEKA for your trust.
TBC – Part 2 (3 Abdul in Australia).




No comments:
Post a Comment