“Every great dream begin with a dreamer – Harriet Tubman”![]()
My love affair with Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) started 5 years ago when I watched Kilian Jornet effortlessly won the 2011 The North Face UTMB. Right there and then I knew it, this is the dream race.
And 5 years ago, I posted the video highlight of the race on this blog. aptly titled One Day Soon. Just a foolish dream and I didn’t think at that moment I could ever run a 100 miles trail mountain race. That’s just for crazy people! It didn’t occur to me at that exact moment, I planted the seed in my subconscious mind towards UTMB without realising it.
Never in a million years would I believe that one day I would actually have the opportunity to chase my dream running the UTMB. I have my doubts, especially when I only started running in 2009 with a mere 5km at the age of 37. I entered more races with increased distance and I started collecting all these UTMB points.
Finally after 3 years and two denied ballots, I am one step closer to that dream. Next summer I will run my dream race - the UTMB.
Never give up on your dream, if you believe it hard enough, it will comes true!
If you’re balloting for this race, I wish you best of luck and hope to see you next summer in Chamonix.
My qualifying races for UTMB are taken from Tor des Geants (Italy, 2016), Northburn Station 100 miles (New Zealand, 2016) & TNF100 Australia (2015).