Sunday, October 28, 2012

Race report: PNM 2012

PNM-Main

It was supposed to be slow run for me after completing 100km last week at The North Face Singapore. Plus i was requested by a friend to pace him for his sub-5 Marathon timing.

At the eleventh hour, he had to abandon the PNM due to family emergency. That left me with nothing to aim for at PNM, just a simple finish for my 19th Marathon would be sufficient.

I was told that FM runners amounted about 700 runners that night and at 8:00 pm we’re gunned off.

The weather was very humid when we starts, the signs were all there for a raining running fest, but it was a typical Putrajaya weather at the end - it was tough, high humidity night race after all.

579065_305731026206655_1384116639_nRan for Cheah Meei Meei R.I.P . With Azlan Aiman, thanks Tey for the photo of CMM.

I started slow and maintained a happy pace, but somehow i got dragged pacing with faster runners. The first 10km went by smoothly, i was shocked to see my Garmin – 53:31 (faster than my 10km at Berlin). Mark Williams and Shahruddin ran the Half Marathon, came and overtook me after the water station just before they turn left into Lebuh Perdana Barat.

Took first Powergel here.

After 17km, i saw a familiar figure…walking! It was the Sarongman Yim – he was having a bad race, said hi and wish him well before moving on. Putrajaya route is full of rolling hills, which i used to my full advantage by using short stride fast cadence running style. I overtook many runners at ascending hills.

20km done in 1:49, soon broke sub-2 HM in 1:56. I was quite surprised i could maintained this pace considering the awful weather and still recovering from the 100km.

Water station was great, with the options of 100plus and mineral water. I wash my face and wet and my hair at every water stations, my rituals to maintain low core temperature.

Another Powergel gone after 21km.

30km completed in 2:47, after the u-turn around 31km, I could feel i getting slower and weaker. Dang! The 100km trails done last week came to haunt me! Legs felt soft now, i had to dig deep to maintained these last 10km or so. I hope i don’t puke Powergel as i did last week at TNF SG, i have a low tolerance of Powergels, 5 is my limits!

Thankfully the 3rd Powergel didn’t upset my system. There’s more hills at the last 10km dang!

The hills after 37km at Wadi Ehsan Highway killed me! I could feel i was getting slower. Turning into Lebuh Bistari, one could see many HM runners were walking in zombie mode. I saw Zul Hassan and gave him a pat at the back, he was pacing someone for HM. Pink top suit you well Zul…i loike! hehe

At the final water station at Lebuh Saujana before turning into Persiaran Perdana, i decided to take longer break and let the slower runners passes me.

The final stretch i was running slowly coz i want to enjoy these finishing moments. I could see a lot of supporters on both side of the road towards the finish line. It was loud and festive, many were shouting encouragements to runners about to cross the finish line.

I finally crossed the finish line with the time of 4:06...wootz that was a very tall order after 100km TNF hell last week.

550511_4938498459895_1154124030_nRunning to the finish line. Don’t ask! It was a long humid night at Putrajaya.

The volunteers dutifully loop my medal after that, then another girl loop another medal. I went like eh? Surprisingly found out that the first medal was actually a placing number. I got number #11 Jr. Veteran Men Category plus RM50 prize money.

36543_4740605154315_1815965567_nMarathon no #19 at #11

PNM really drained all my energy, i found that i was dehydrated badly, disoriented, headache, nauseated after the run...hell i take 100km run any time instead of 42 km of Putrajaya.

Met many friends, old and new, it was great event.The organization was excellent, kudos to Hooha, water was a plenty, security for runners was good overall.

Waited until they announced my name in the list of winner in the Jr. Veteran Men Category before i left home for much deserved R&R, that made my night. It was priceless!

644551_10151140570009457_2060928196_nWith Yim and Catman (photo: Ben Swee)

22404_10151062845261316_1067842326_nChillax before PNM with fellow Nuts (Photo: Kam)

550134_10151209211717618_454185631_nAfter the race. With FMV supporters, thank KJ, Kak Tiff and Azza. (Photo: Nik Raiha)

Splits
10km > 53:31 > 20km > 1:49:43 > 21km> 1:56:17 > 30km > 2:47:56 > 40km > 3:49:43 > 42km > 4:06:11

6 comments:

  1. Gambar maut di situ. xD

    Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Now I just need to find out which planet you came from ... LOL! Congrats, Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratz Ultra Ray!!! keep on running will ya... I bet, u really inspired me to do my 1st FMV this coming PBIM 2012... Super jittery.. I must always respect the distance... =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eezard, good luck at PBIM. You will do fine, just stick to the training.

      Delete