Friday, March 8, 2013

Mt. Nuang Ultra Trail: Race Report

420358_495076720529262_1185493096_nGroup photo with Race Director - Jeff Ooi, Yee Hua & Karen Loh before starting my run. Photo: Team Pacat

I was panicking and frequently looking at my Garmin watch, it was my ascending run from 5km turn around for my final loop (5th loops) to complete 50km distance. I have about 2 km to finish and few minutes to spare before cut off time at 6:00 pm. I did a mental calculation and estimated that i could barely made it time. As i was zooming down from the hill and gave a shout out “runner coming through” to two hikers in front of me, all of sudden my left leg cramped badly. I couldn’t moved! I guess that’s it, my race was gone….

16 hours earlier…

I was tossing and turning around 2 am on my bed. I could not sleep, dang! I guess i have to DNS the race early tomorrow. As the Fruitarian a.k.a Michael Arnstein, multiple Leadville 100, Western State, Badwater finisher once said, going into an Ultra race without adequate rest and sleep is just plain STUPID!

That’s true, if your body does not have enough time to recover you only make it worse by put it through to stressful period of running an Ultra distance.

I heard someone died during Brooks HM at Bt. Jalil, my sincere condolence to the runner’s family. Remember peeps to run safe and always listen to your body! Nobody knows your body like you do!

I woke up the next morning just before 7 a.m. and feeling quite refreshed. So i decided finally to run the race later at 9:00 am while the others start at 6:00 am. Well it’s the first time for everything for me, and i really needed to test my new gear for TNF Ph.

602032_495076697195931_168857810_nFinal runner arrived. Late!

I arrived at the base of Mt. Nuang just before 8:30 am, it was bright! So i ditched my headlamp stored inside my new pack the night before. No need to use that headlamp now, i said to myself. I was greeted by Jeff Ooi the race director and also Karen Loh (MWM Marathon RD) plus Zul our le Sabuns Ultra manager.

After getting the clearance from RD to start the race, i quickly ran uphill towards Mt. Nuang. It was a new adventure, a new trail and i did not know what to expect. It was my very first Nuang trail run. Ever! lol

The Inaugural Gunung Nuang Endurance Run is a time base race, runners given 12 hours to run 10km loop (5km in, 5km out). Medal and finisher t.shirt will only be given to runners that completed at least 4 loops (40km). In my case, i had only 9 hours to accumulate at least 40km to earn that finisher medal and t.shirt. Oh well better start running….. real fast now.

The route was from the entrance (base) to Camp Lolo – a 5km distance, then turn back 5km to complete 1 loop (10km). Gunung Nuang is the highest peak in Klang Valley 1493m /4898 feet from sea level.

elevation

I did 2 loops (20km) in roughly about 2:30 hours, the climb toward Camp Lolo (5km in) was a bitch, it was a tough and technical trail, but i enjoyed the pains. I really loves the returning leg (5km out), it’s an ascending run downhill. Like Scott Jureks’ said “free speed”, I met many friends during those run, well it’s my first race for the year (2013), and i haven’t seen these guys for quite sometimes. I clapped, high fived and said hi to most of the runners.

I guess it’s quite intimidating after running for 3 hours since 6:00am, all of a sudden you meet this loco hyperactive guy running up and down the mountains like there’s no tomorrow. At one stage, a guy asked me whether i was leading the race, because he saw me running fast and non stop. I guess he though i was running since 6:00 am like everyone else. I just laugh a bit and smiles, i said to him “no i’m not leading this race, i just started running at around 9:00 am”; oh boy he was shocked! Sorry guys/runners, i wasn’t trying to intimidated anyone, i just ran my own race and try to complete at least 40km so I wouldn’t come home empty handed, especially since it was my first official race.

63966_10151271634191316_545397879_nComing down from the hill toward the base. You could see the inclines at the back – most runners walk all the way up.

I caught up with the rest of the le Sabuns Ultra runners (Kam, Cikgu Syed, Cikgu Fath, Arman, Zinov and Mun) during my first loop, they thought i DNS the race. Well i try to keep out drama out of my life, but drama kept on getting into my life. What can i say, go with the flow?

The race organisation was good, highest mark for a first time event. For me it’s ok to screw up a little for the first race, but Jeff Ooi and his team did a great job organising this very first Ultra Trail event in Peninsular Malaysia.

The water was sufficient, volunteers was very eager and helpful, signage and distance markers are everywhere, the photographer was excellent, the porridge cooked by Karen Loh was the best ever! especially when you’re hungry running an Ultra Marathon.

I took a breather after 30km, lunch was provided by le Sabuns Manager – Mr. Zul. A billion thanks bro for supporting us that day, you took photos, provides drinks and moral supports. Words could not express our gratitudes.

Nuang 50km elevation
5 peaks represent 5 loops of the 50km route of Mt. Nuang Trail

Final loop – swim or sink time!

Time was running out when i completed the 4th loops (40km), i had less than 2 hours to completes the final loop. The crowd and volunteers were cheering me to take on that final loop, i said that i needed a minute to think about this. But when you’re tired, especially after 40km – your mind does not work well i guess! After refilling my front bottle (on my hydration bag) with ice cold coca cola, i shouted at the time keeper that i taking on the challenge for the final loop.

601374_495078940529040_1306607165_nFinal assault for the hill. Ice cold coke on one hand, yeah i’m ready.

Time was running out and i went all out for this last 10km, on previous ascending my tactics was to walk fast and conserve the energy. But now as time was running out, i had to run a bit on most of the hill climb. I’m sure this final loop will take a lot from my leftover energy. Most of the runners stopped after completing the minimum 40km (4 loops), the slower runner are now still on the trail competing their final loop. I could see it on every one face when i passed them – the look of disbelief when the saw me again! Finally, this one lady said out loud – i guess she couldn’t take it any longer. You guys are crazy! , she said. I just smiles and encourages her to move on completing her final loop.

67330_10151306596155382_659052495_n

As i was about to pass her in opposite direction, my left leg started to cramp…..badly! Then i remembered, i haven’t consumed ORS at all before the race and during the race! Dumb ass! I always made rookie mistakes! Now it’s haunting me.

As i was struggling with my cramps, the lady named Punita offered me one of her hiking pole. I said no at first, because she needed more than i do. But she insisted and said you are fast and she will get the pole back when i’m coming down the hill later on.

Sometimes god sent someone kind to help us in our difficult times. That day Punita was my hero and my saviour, i couldn’t said enough thanks to Punita. With the borrowed pole, and after the cramps was gone, i managed to climbed the hill easier and arrived at Camp Lolo (5km checkpoint) with less than 52 minutes before cut off.

I quickly glanced at my watch, i still could make it in time, provided no cramps or mishaps during the descents. Punita was right, halfway down, i caught up with her and passed back her pole, she was struggling with that single pole. After I said another thank you and wish her well, i made my was downhill fast. Passed few other runners till i met two hikers, there and then again my left leg cramped.

Previously, I only had cramps while cycling; never while running. Thankfully, god sent another saviour in form of these two hikers. They stopped and help me with my cramps, i was left standing motionless there with one good feet for few precious minutes. I said to myself, the 50km now gone in smoke!

601221_527332640643821_1378956540_nMad dash to the final checkpoint (Camp Lolo). Photo: Zas

After a while, the cramps was gone. After saying another thank you, i made my way down slowly – jogging slowly not to put too much pressure on my left leg. By the way, my new gear – Salomon 2013 model S Lab 5 liters Hydration bag was superb. I had problems with my Camelbak previously, i always ended up with chaffing. The Salomon bag passed the test, no chaffing and feel like wearing a jacket/vest rather than a bag. Fit nicely with my preps for TNF Ph.

555363_10200147702328350_293387671_nBand of brothers - with le Sabuns Ultra, few seconds after completing my final loop.

Finally i arrived at the gate of the base, all the other runners and organizers were waiting at the finish line for the final runners before the 6 pm cut off. I made it with 12 minutes to spare with hoots and clapping of encouragements. The winner, Dino arrived few minutes after me in completing a mind-blowing 90km in 12 hours.

I thankfully completed 50km in 8:48 minutes and gained 2,650 meters / 8,694 feet of elevation gain, higher than Mt. Tahan. I had great time at my virgin Nuang trail and the inaugural Nuang Trail Race. Now i know the best place to spend my weekends,  until next year folks and please run safe.

7 comments:

  1. Such riveting account. Nak baca pun berdebar-debar.

    Congrats! Ohsem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nak tulis pun berdebar-debar ha ha. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Drama King... hahahaha.. aku rasa berpuluh miss call from zinov kan? dia yg risau pagi..

    Anyway congrats bro.. we have bigger mission to tackle..

    Let Sabuns..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabuns all the way lol.

      pagi tu bila bangun, banyak miss calls from Zinov, congrats semua le Sabuns Ultra dapat 50/60 km haritu :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome as always, Ray. Loved the drama like story telling ... hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick Skechers please give us another quote for RW. Congrats Nick :)

      Delete
  4. BIG congrats and yes, mcm kak lina ckp, mendebarkan betul baca mula2 tu.
    mcm movie boleh buat flashback. he he.

    ReplyDelete