“Show Your True Colours” is this year theme at Sundown Ultra Marathon.
In a way, it’s the perfect theme in showing us runners true identity. Some are brave, some persistence and some are just lousy cheaters.
I had my sight to do TMBT this year - registered and paid for the flight, the SDU came out late and its happened to be on the same date as TMBT. The choice is really clear, i burned my flight ticket to Kota Kinabalu! and i’m happy about it.
Celebrating anniversary Ultra 100km with my SG running friends (Freedom Freaks), that’s a no contest, really! Two years ago (2011), i ran my first 100km at SDU and met these wonderful SG runners – Alexander Asree and the gang. And we have been good friends ever since.
This SDU is time for me to reflect how far have i gone in running these past two years, SDU will be my 11th Ultra attempts and 10th Ultra completion, god willing.
Dinner with Freedom Freak @ I am (Photo: Asree)
This time my travel buddy is Fazli “Flash” Nawi, he had been training hard for 8 months just for SDU; and this race would be something special for him. His dad past away early this year and he is running his virgin 100 km for the memories of his dad. That’s is something special and you have to respect someone running for a great cause not self glory. I saw the focus and determination in his eyes during our travel, i believe in my heart that he will finish this no matter what come his way.
I wish i have this strong will like Flash have right now, i’m still recovering and finding my running mojo ever since Leadville. My will and confidence is a little bit vulnerable right now, i could DNF this race and be happy about it.
We arrived a day earlier and had a wonderful dinner with Freedom Freaks gang near Arab Street, thank you for hosting us Asree and friends, hope to see you guys soon at SCKLM.
The race started at 6:00 pm, Saturday at Marina Barrage, and we have 18 hours to do two loops of 50km. Being back at Marina Barrage brings back the wonderful memories of two years ago, as we started running down to lower side of MB i was praying and hoping that my injury would sustain throughout the 100km.
A week early, i fell three times while descending Nuang Mountain for my weekend training. I hurt my right knee, which trigger an old injury which i suffered at TNF 100 SG Duo 2011.
SDU 2013
1,500 participants
900 Solo Runners
Categories: 100km Solo, 100km Team of 2 (each run 50km) and 100km Team of 4 (each run 25km).
Aid Stations: 3.5km, 7km, 11.5km, 14.5km, 17km, 22km, 25km, 28km, 33km, 35.5km, 38.5km, 43km, 46.5km, 50km, 53.5km, 57km, 61.5km, 64.5km, 67km, 72km, 75km 78km, 83km, 85.5km, 88.5km, 93km and 96.5km.
Cut-off:
13.5 hours / 7:30 am, 15th Sept, Sunday - 75km
18 hours / 12 pm, 15th Sept, Sunday– 100km.
The first 25km flew by, my knee was ok. It was hot and humid running through ECP and Changi Beach Park. The WS this time is about 3km – 4km apart, i don’t need to carry hydration bag only a hand held bottle would suffice. I ran about 5:30 – 6:00 pace, i try to keep the pace under 6:00 min/km. I was chasing Sallehan at start of the race, and finally reached him when stop for his packed roti prata dinner at AS – 17km, i bid him farewell as i want to finish this race fast, coz i hate loop route – it’s boring and mental!
I arrived at 25km turn-around under 3 hours, if i maintained at this rate i could finish under 12 hours or so i thought. After a quick drink and top up my bottle at the AS, i quickly left and run back towards Marina Barrage. I met the other runners few km after 25km CP, first it was Cikgu Syed, Cikgu Mat then Asree and his Freaks gang running in a group. After that i saw Kam and Uncle Onn, then Flash Fazli..wohoo. He looked strong and in jovial mood. Uncle Oliver was in the back group with Dodo. I shouted some encouragements before moving on.
The second 25km was horrible, i started walking a lot here. Somehow the heat and humidity got to me, started slowing down; even to maintain running pace 7:00 min/km was a challenge. My injuries was back with a vengeance and the hard concrete road around ECP made it worst. My right knee hurt so much that i feel that i just could stop and just DNF this. But i managed to held on and run with the injuries somehow and my knees was numb nearing AS 1 – 46km. My strategy was to walk-run-walk, more walking than running at the time. I decided enough is enough, i need to DNF at 50km check point where there’s food and drinks – plus i could rest comfortably.
Sallehan caught up with me at the final 2 km. Upon reaching 50km CP, i immediately lie down and rest those weary legs, time to give them knees a deserve rest. I was thinking, it’s only 50km but felt so tough to complete it – i was basically struggling. The heat and humidity of SG was the main culprit.
I met Sallehan at that CP and he was also resting, then Cikgu Syed and Cikgu Mat arrived about 15 minutes later. They were also struggling – i could see in the faces that it was a monumental task to complete just half distance of SDU.
I completed the first 50km in 6:10 hours, then rested about an hour before decided just to try and see how will i hold up for the next 50km. Sallehan, Cikgu Syed, Cikgu Mat and I started our final 50km together.
Wearily reaching Marina Barrage – 50km CP
On our way out running on the bridge, we met with Asree and gang, Uncle Onn, Fazli and Kam. I was pretty glad that they made it this far, Uncle Onn was complaining to me about his blisters. I advise him to get some rest and eat some food before continue on. I said to him, he looked strong at this point – amazing.
Ready for the next 50km (Photo: Sallehan)
Upon reaching AS1 again – 53.5km, i was devastated. I just could not run, my knees was still hurting. I had to resort to walking and watch Cikgu Syed and Cikgu Mat slowly moving on and disappearing into ECP. Damn!
I met with Mohan nearing ECP entrance, he wasn’t feelin good – he was injured and decided no to continue the second loop. I was almost tempted to join Mohan walking back to Marina Barrage due to my bad knee, but then thinking it was quite far – i continued on.
I was still walking and resorted to brisk walk, upon reaching AS 2 – 57km.
A few kilometres later, i was relief to be able to run again. After restarting running slow, i found out the pain was gone soon after, then i was able to push on faster pace. So the strategy now is to find this two Cikgus, i ran and ran further – still no sight of them.
I had to run faster up to a pace of 5:30 min/km , finally i caught up with them just before Pit Stop 1 – 64km. I was feeling hungry and sweating after that fast run, Cikgu Syed and I then decided to have early breakfast at ECP Mac Donalds. While Cikgu Mat decided to continue running solo.
It was a great breakfast and a good 30 minutes break to fill our stomach. I could only ate half of Big Mac, my stomach does not agree to put more food beyond that.
Cikgu Syed and I then continued our run, we decided to strategize for this final portion of SDU. He suggested we run 1km and walk 1km coz he cannot run more than 1km – his lung hurt, he said.
So we did this strategy, i was the only guy with GPS watch – so i determine our pace. Sometimes, Cikgu Syed would asked is it 1 km of running yet while holding his chest. Sometimes i pushed him running 2 km and walk 1 km – and he doesn’t knows it till much later.
As we running along the long horrible Changi Beach road, we finally caught up with Cikgu Mat after 30 mins of break mind you. So there were three of us after that – the 3 Abdul hehe.
I was beyond relief reaching 75km – the final U-turn. It’s only 25km left now.
Just before 75km CP, Cikgu Mat running close behind
We’re ecstatic knowing that we will finish this race even if we walk, we have a lot of time.
After the u-turn, we’re back on Changi Beach Road going home. We met the rest of the guys, Fazli, Uncle Onn, Asree and the freaks. But no Kam? I wonder what happened. I was quite relief to see Fazli and Uncle Onn still running strong.
Soon after, we met Uncle Oliver walking fast. Go Uncle Oliver we said! You’re a rockstar! at 70 y.o. he surely am.
Another relief when we no longer ran on the long and mental CBR, wohoo now we entering ECP. The two Cikgu decided to walk more while i keep running – actually i was afraid if i stop, my knee would acting up again, and then i couldn’t run!
My feet, knees and legs were numb at that point – i just soldiered on, not much distance to cover now – i try to motivate myself.
Tiga Abdul – run happy. 100km je
It was getting bright and then i saw Kam – he was walking. I said you got 30 minutes before cut-off at 75km. He decided to DNF as he knows he wouldn’t reach that u-turn in time. It was a brave decision to DNF, but much more respectable than cheating.
The ECP was alive now with Sunday morning runners, plus there’s a 10km event happening on the same route. It will be congested route – damn i said, i hope that wouldn’t break my good pace now.
In the final 10km i was running all the way, i try to maintained 7:00 min/km pace. The Marina Barrage was a sight for my tired eyes. For the second time in a row i will finish SDU 100km Ultra.
I don’t know where the energy came from, but as i arrived at Marina Barrage after the bridge people were clapping and cheering for us finisher. I guess that lift up my spirits.
I PBed my anniversary 100km Ultra Marathon by 1:03 minutes – i finish in 15:13:09
I am also glad many friends made it over the finish line, especially Fazli, Uncle Onn and Cikgu Mat – their virgin 100km Ultra. Congrats guys, you deserved it!
No forgetting Asree and gang, true to their motto “Leave No One Behind”. They finish together – congrats.
To Uncle Oliver and Dodo, you guys are the true essence of Ultra runner – never give up! These two guys DNFed SDU in 2011, but they coming back to avenge it this year. Revenge is sweet, congrats to both of you.
And we will coming back in 2015 to help Kam finish his SDU.
Gears used:
- Shoes – Salomon Sense Mantra (It’s door to trail shoes that i like the most for road racing, it’s very light and responsive. Suitable for midfoot strike).
- Salomon Exo S-Lab Tee
- Salomon Exo S-Lab Twinskin short
- Salomon Exo Calf
- Optic Nerve Sunglass
Sangat mengkagumkan.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the experience Ultra Ray. ^^
p.s. those photos - macam gambar amek time sekolah jer. ;)
you're welcome Lina Bunny
Deletep.s ini memang masa ko-k sekolah :p
mcm tu la.. senyum.. xperlu kata apa2.. hahahaha...terbaek bro..
ReplyDelete100 je..mestilah senyum :)
Delete