“You’re stronger than you think you’re.
The adventure is out there, test your limit!” - RaY
This was my 3rd 100km run in the TNF Asia Pacific Series, i completed two 100km run in 2012; namely TNF100 Thailand and TNF100 Singapore. From what i heard TNF Philippines at Baguio is one tough course, when i found out the cut off time is 30 hours plus the high percentage of DNF rate – i knew this is the one that would make or break me.
TNF Philippines was held at Camsur at 2011, but the organizer decided to change the venue because…the course was too easy. So new hellish course would be permanently held at Baguio.
The Malaysian contingent for TNF100 Ultra comprises of six Ultra runners; Shine Teh, Yim, Chin Ann and your truly (100km) plus Ijam and Kam Kasturie (50km).
Pre Race
I took AirAsia flight on Wednesday night and arrived at Clark Airport on midnight – Thursday morning. I took a cab from airport to Dau Bus Terminal, cost me 400 pesos/RM32. From Dau, it’s about 5 hours ride towards Baguio located on the north side of the country. Paid my ticket on the bus (306 pesos /RM24), the bus supposed to have wifi but on that particular bus the wifi does not work – i couldn’t care less, i was busy in snoozeland.
Arrived safe and sound at Baguio located at 1,500 meters from sea level on a fine Thursday morning. Took a taxi from the bus terminal to La Maja Hotel, Outlook Drive. Taxi here is very reliable and they use meters – cost me 71 pesos to the Hotel. It’s about 5km from Hotel to the town.
Race Briefing
Rack pack collection and race briefing took place at the newest Hotel in Baguio, the Azalea Hotel.
The briefing supposedly start at 3:00 pm but it got delayed. We only able to collect our race pack after the briefing. I’m a bit worried about the organization of this race especially on race day, but my worries was unfounded - it’s all smooth sailing all the way on race day.
The race briefing start off with a simple prayer to the Boston Marathon victims, lead by Diane Van Deren – TNF sponsored athlete which also competes in the TNF Philippines 100km category. After that simple ceremony, the briefing discussed about race mechanics, safety, mandatory items, bag drop (only for 100km) etc.
But i found most interesting when the race director – Neville Manaois, casually stressed that there’s no Up Hill in Baguio, there’s only Up Hell!
On race day, i found out that statement is not further from the truth.
Race Day – TNF100 Philippines
Start (Camp John Hay) to AS1 (8.4km) Downhill (Elevation loss –72)
Kam, Ijam, Chin Ann and i arrived much too early at race site, around 1:40 am. It was a cool weather, i found Yim and Shine soon after we had our mandatory items checked by the Marshal (they were really strict about this).
There were band playing on the stage, blasting classical rock songs from the 80’s. Some light entertainment for the runners and spectators while waiting for the start off. Good job organizer.
After the usual camwhoring, i took my usual place at the front of start line 15 minutes before the flag off. I like to start at the front for two reasons, i) I want to study/observe the elites’ running form. I do not have a personal coach, so what i did was to study runners around me run and implement the suitable approach into my own running style; ii) I don’t like to stuck behind slow runners especially on a single track – starting up front granted me these two elements.
I found myself standing besides Diane Van Deren and Mirko, a vibram wearing runner from Canada (marathon finish 3:30). After I bid good luck to both of them, i said a silent prayer for a good and injury free race. I kissed my kid photo hung on my neck as soon as we flagged off at 3:00 am (for good luck).
I started running with a decent pace, not too fast and not too slow. Not even 1 km, Shine soon overtook me with ease. I ran those early km pacing Diane, it was pitch dark and my Patzl Nao works like a charm, the trail was brightly lit by my headlamp – another great investment for my big race this August.
We started at elevation 1,488 and will reach AS1 at 1416 (-72 elevation loss), i didn’t realised that we reached AS1 so soon, i stopped and grab a bottle 100plus and continued running. It was dark, it was beautiful with all the headlights lit the dark trail. We ran down a few km of stairs on few part of the early route, dang i hate stairs!
Distance Covered: 8.4km
Accumulative Distance: 8.4km
Time Taken: 1:05
Accumulative Time: 1:05
Ready to rock TNF100 Baguio – the toughest route in TNF series.
(Chin Ann, Ijam, me and Kam). Photo: Kam
A1 to A2 (Itogon) (9.9km): Downhill (Elevation loss –621)
My pace was steady, so far no problem and my shoes (Salomon S-Lab Sense Ultra) worked great at this stage, it’s so light that i didn’t noticed i was wearing shoes. I was pacing with a group of strong Pinoy runners, i left Diane somewhere in back before A1. I wonder if i was doing too much too soon? – but it doesn’t matter as i was having a ball at the time – running free and easy!
I chat with one of the Pinoy runner during the run, as soon he realised i’m from Malaysia, he asked i knew Shine. Dude you’re famous here Philippines! He said i must be strong like Shine, i just laugh a bit – i’m nowhere near that guy. Shine is in his class of his own, a very good class by the way.
I reached A2 in good time, around 2 hours and at position #33. I took first Powergel here and some raisins. From here to A3 it’s all uphill…or U P H E L L !
My strategy for this race was to run all the downhill and walk all the uphill to conserve energy and hoping i can last for entire 100km.
Distance Covered: 9.9km
Accumulative Distance: 18.3km
Time Taken: 1:13
Accumulative Time: 2:18
Team Malaysia 100km Ultra Marathoner. (Photo: Chin Ann)
A2 to A3 (Ampucao) (11.3km): Uphill (Elevation gain 747)
As soon as i hit the inclines i slow don and started to powerwalk. I took out my raisins and start eating. Shine gave me a tip “eat when you walk the trail”. I had another Pinoy runner accompanied me power walked the incline. He asked what’s my goal time, which was 24 hours. He on the other hand was targeting to completes in 20 hours, he added if we walk 10 km in 2 hours – we’ll complete 100km in 20 hours. A sound logic, he added further that now that we completed 20km in about 2 hours of running – we’re a head of time. But i decided to stick to my original plan – 24 hours, no last minutes change here!
I tackle the first hill without a problem, then i reached upon a very steep inclines. Half way through this particular hill, i felt dizzy, light headed and suddenly my feet went soft jelly. I don’t have control of my body, at one time i ran and headed straight for a tree – i crashed that tree. I just couldn’t manoeuvre to get around the tree, then it started…i vomited air few times. My usual signs of DNF was looming large! I am getting weaker as time goes on.
I walked very slowly and energy-less, by now more runners has overtaken me on the hill climb. By now i was a walking zombie, my head was spinning and i was having a big headache. Finally i sat down on log with a runner from Mindanao, he was having canned Tuna. Diane and then Yim soon passed me, plus many other runners that i left behind. I estimated about 30 runners overtook me while i contemplating on my fate on that log. Sigh!
That was my maiden race in Philippines, gone in smoke. I decided to DNF, no use of putting more stress and danger to my body. I was mentally destroyed at that point, all flat out!
After taking that long breather on the log, i decided to walk to AS3 and informed them that i DNF. I walk further on asphalt road, when a taxi appears from nowhere and stop besides me “do you need a ride”? I was tempted, i was thinking it would nice right then to lie down on hotel bed all warm and nice. I dismissed the Taxi and continue to walk downhill towards AS3, but not before i stopped by the local shop and ordered a bottle of ice cold coke. There were many runners inside the shop, drinking and eating their breakfast.
I quickly left the shop after my Coca Cola pit stop and jogged a bit towards AS3, i couldn’t wait to DNF and go back to the Hotel. Before reaching AS3, i had to pee. To my surprise it’s all dark colours, i thought i was drinking enough water while running – but that was not the case. Soon after, i realised that i was not only dehydrated but suffered altitude sickness. I was climbing up too fast and too soon.
It’s was a big relief when reaching AS3 – Ampucao, they serve water, banana, sweet potatoes and hot noodles. I sat down and ate Seafood noodles, which was heavenly delicious – yes i was definitely hungry! I looked at my Garmin watch, it’s showed 8:30 am, then i looked again at my 24 hours strategy plan.
I was elated, i was actually 30 minutes under my target time. AS3 is the first cut off point – at 11:00 am (8 hours), not only i made it under my target time but i was 2:30 hours under cut off time.
Distance Covered: 11.3km
Accumulative Distance: 29.6km
Time Taken: 3:12
Accumulative Time: 5:30
AS3 to AS4: Barangay Alang, Tuba, Benguet (11.8km): Uphill (Elevation gain 211)
Back from the dead - All of the sudden, my mood and spirit soared. DNF cancelled, game face back on. After refuelling with noodles and sweet potatoes, i refilled my water bag and quickly left AS3 few minutes before 9:00 am. Wohoooo i’m back!
Next it’s a climb towards Philex Ridge, one of the beautiful part of the whole trail. I power walked all the way up to the peak. It was cool weather up there at 1753 meters, wind was blowing and walking on the Philex Ridge was a surreal feeling, it’s like walking into a movie set. Can you say Frodo or Gandalf?
Then it all change as soon as i entered the “mossy forest” which was very steep and slippery. We had to repel twice at certain point inside the forest, estimated about 10 meters down using rope. During my college days i was involved a lot with repelling activities, this would be no problem for me. I didn’t even used the gloves that i bought, kept in the bag. It’s like riding a bike, you never forget repelling. It took me less than a minute, to repel down both ropes.
The guy in front of me was somewhat slowing us down, i had to excuse myself and overtook him in that single trail inside the mossy forest. I underestimate the distance between the aid stations, it was very far in between. I almost ran out of water when reached AS4, almost 4 hours later. I reached AS 4 at about 12pm, 1 hour off my target time at position #109.
Distance Covered: 11.8km
Accumulative Distance: 41.4km
Time Taken: 3:30
Accumulative Time: 9:00
Race strategy, thanks Amy Wong for sharing this.
AS4 to AS5: Kannon Road (12.5km): Downhill (Elevation loss -1506)
I was thirsty and hungry upon reaching AS4. I drank a lot of mineral water here and top up my water bag plus two bottles in front. I’m not taking any chances now. I ate buns and bananas and finish it off with a box of chocolate milk drink at the Aid Station.
Nick a strong Pinoy runner that i met on the Philex Ridge was already about to leave AS 4. I quickly follow suit, it’s downhill baby – free speed! Now my new motivation was to overtake 10 guys in front and put myself within top 100 runners.
I was running more now, not very fast but good enough to reel in the front guys, one by one. It’s a very steep downhill, the concrete road hurts very much. But it’s a manageable pain, this time around i have taken salt pills while running - one every hour or so. Ever since that cramp incident at Nuang Ultra, i decided to try this Salt pills. So far so good, no cramps – i don’t need that much salt as i sweat less than the average guy.
Few km down the road, i finally catch up with Nick. He’s running with Jonel – the H1 Race director. They’re doing a great pace, looking strong. It’s getting hotter now as mid day sun was up right there on our head, every 15 minutes or so i splash a little water on my face and on my head to keep my core body cool. A little trick i learned from “Born to Run” book – on chapter of persistence running.
I finally caught up with Mirko the Canadian guy, he was doing great for his first 100km trail race. Running with vibram and poles, he’s look fresh. He said, he just took a nap and a drink at nearby local stall. It’s great to have company while running now, i soon left him after that coz i wanna catch few more guys up front and made up for loss time power walking all the prior inclines.
It’s getting hotter and the downhill is endless, you thought it’s near but it’s not. My mineral water almost dried up due to my splashing activities, i survived oven baked Craze Ultra weather, this should be nothing for me, i said quietly.
More downhill…finally i heard the sound of automobiles. I must be near to Kennon Road, the AS 5 haven.
Yessss…i’m not imagining! It’s a road alright, after 1,506 meters of descending finally i arrived at 247 meters of altitude. It’s so damn hot right now, i could feel my skins burning. The AS5 was a sight for sore eyes. Many runners already arrived, sitting down and having a break.
I made it at 2:15 pm, it’s over my target time about 15 minutes. But that’s ok, coz i made it half way – 50km. That was suppose to be the easy parts, all those hills and inclines that i left behind was the easy part of the course. Next 50km will be H E L L!
I felt good, i felt strong. Just burned from the hot sun, i need to cool down my core temperature and rest a bit now.
The cut off time at AS5 is 14 hours / 5 pm. I was 2:45 under the cut off time, i got time to recuperate and rethink my strategy for for the next 50 km.
I decided to take a longer break before attacking Mt. Santo Tomas at 3pm.
Distance Covered: 12.5km
Accumulative Distance: 53.9km
Time Taken: 2:15
Accumulative Time: 11:15

Kagumzzzz. You da man Boss!
ReplyDeleteEh jap. Ada bape part ni?
p.s. love the photos of those two cute kids in Baju Melayu hung on your neck. :)
Thanks Lina...berapa part? Trilogy kot..hehe
DeleteMy oh my. Must be very d mental masa fikir nak DNF..thinking about hotel, bed and all. But then you quickly came back from the dead. Wah.
ReplyDeleteOkay waiting for part 2 :)
Yes DNF centric is common during Ultra races, the trick is to ride it out, physical strength won't be much help at this point - only mental perseverance will see you through :)
Deletealaa benci tul lah nak kena tunggu episod 2.. aku yg baca ni siap dap dup dap dup.. surreal la pengalaman ko ni bro.. kagum x10
ReplyDeletelol coming soon....tengah type ni :)
Deleteberkerut2 my face bila baca ur entry, saspen betul part nak DNF tu. fuuuhhhh....
ReplyDeletemoga2 part2 takde part saspen. :D
part 2 lagi banyak saspen...:P
Delete