Friday, December 20, 2013

TNF100 Hong Kong – Race Report

tnf

The headwind was blowing so hard on top of Tai Mo Shan mountain in Hong Kong (elevation: 957 m / 3,140 ft) also known as "Big Hat Mountain", that I was pushed back a few times.

It was raining, cold and foggy at 11 pm; visibility was reduced to 5 meters. Basically I was walking blindly, my only guide was the white line on the middle of the foggy tarmac road.

At that moment there’s no room to think about the race or DNF, my only thought between walking and clattering my teeth in 2 degree Celsius temperature was how to survive this?

The next check point – CP7 should be near, but with all the fog you couldn’t see anything. My eyes was heavy, i’m starving and I was tired due to the all day running – more than 15 hours at this time.

It was so easy to stop at the road side and curl myself with the emergency blanket and rest a bit, maybe a little nap before continue on. But my logics tell me to fight this and continue walking, my clothes and jacket are all wet due to rainy weather. If I stop now, I risk hypothermia and then probably imminent death.

My hands are numbs now.

This is it, the end of my journey.

It’s the final nail for me on top of the highest Mountain in Hong Kong….
 
Pre Race
Few days earlier, I arrived at Hong Kong via AirAsia flight on Thursday.

Booked my Hostel at Mongkok area, the weather was cool and nice. Spend the night rested and getting more sleeps before collecting my race pack the next day (Friday, 13th Dec).

On Friday, we (Juswil, Jamie, Bud, Din & I) went to the famous Racing The Planet (RTP) store before collecting our bibs.

You know you’re trail runner when……. you have an account with RTP hehe.

TNF HKPhoto credit: Jamie Pang

1470152_10152111325678899_1139481013_nRace pack collection (L-R: Francis, RaY, J.P, Din, Bud, Juswil)

It was a great little store located at 22nd floor, 148 Wing Lok Street Sheung Wan, Hong Kong. Everything that trail runners need is here,  we left RTP not without few dollars poorer with our new racing gears.

Race pack collection at TNF store at K11 Art Mall, 18 Hanoi Road, Tsimshatsui went smooth, within few minutes we’re done.

Strangely, just like TNF SG there’s no race briefing for overseas runners compared to TNF Thai & TNF Philippines that I participated in the past.

We went for our dinner and sleep early after that night. Finally I had a deep long sleep just before a major race, normally I would be turning and tossing in my bed the night before a big race.

The next morning, I woke up feeling fresh and ready to rock HK.

mapTNF HK

Race Day – TNF100 Hong Kong
Start (Tai Mei Tuk) to CP1 Wu Kau Tang (6.6 km)

We (Juswil, Nik & I) shared a cab from Mongkok to Tai Mei Tuk.

Memang sah kena ketuk!

The taxi driver that we took was sleepy, reckless, and speeding freely. I felt like in a Jackie Chan’s action movie in that speedy cab. At one point, he suddenly braked at red traffic light, there and then I decided it’s a good time to buckle up at the back. We almost end up in China coz the Taxi driver didn’t know (or pretend) where Tai Mei Tuk was.

When we finally arrived, the meters showed 245 HKD. He asked for 300 HKD or he wouldn't let us take our baggage's.

Good experience! Next time we take the train and bus thank you!

486673_10151934205719823_404268959_n-vert

We took our bag and send the deposit bags to the allocated area. There we met the Malaysian team, Bud Salamon, Din, Rich Chai, Jamie Pang, Simon, Fred Chai etc.

After taking the group photo with Malaysian flag, a Hong Kong journalist asked for a brief interview with me. I said that I was looking for a good finish for this inaugural TNF100 Hong Kong, which will be my 4th TNF100 series after completing TNF SG, TNF Thai & TNF Philippines. I’m on a quest to complete all THF100 series in Asia Pacific.

But with 6,300m elevation gain within 26 hours cut-off, this TNF100 HK would be quite a monster of a race.

1476398_10151934207689823_210076683_nWith reporter from Hong Kong

We took our places near at the front of pack. I took a Powergel just before we started the race. At 8:00 am, we’re flagged off. I started with an easy pace with Bud as the pacer. I kept my jacket inside the bag coz I know we soon start warming once we started running.

By the way, the weather was perfect. Cool morning but no sun, just a bit cloudy. Soon after we started, more people started to take off their jackets, the route took us to the first trail, going uphill. People are started to slow down and crowding the single track, whenever there’s an opening Bud and I would overtake runners in front.
We arrived at the first check point (CP1) within an hour, there’s only water here. I stop to top up my water bottle and then continue on. And that’s the last of Bud Salomon, never saw him until after the race. He’s gone in blink of an eye *puff* (smokes effect).

Distance Covered: 6.6km
Accumulative Distance: 6.6km
Time Taken: 1:00 (9:00 am)
Accumulative Time: 1:00

CP1 Wu Kau Tang to CP2 Wu Kau Tang Farm (8.1 km)

I was running with Juswil, he lead while I was the sweeper. We ran across few dried streams, thankfully it hasn’t rained these past few days in Hong Kong. Else, we had a wet shoes at this early stages of the race.

I kept on with my easy pace, no need to push as it’s going to be a long day ahead. I started with two bottles (600ml), filled with Pepsi and Water.

I was experimenting whether liquid sugar would fuel me all the way to finish line.

TNF HK1At start line TNF Hong Kong

My knees was in good conditions today, maybe Rocktape helps or it’s just a placebo effect. All the ascending stairs took me longer than most runners here, which reminded me I really needed to incorporate more stairs hours in my Ultra training in the future. I was too careful when descending the stairs which resulted many runners overtook me. But I made it later on the flat tarmac road, when I used my road running experiences to the max; overtook these runners on the flat.

Reached CP2 with Juswil, took our time here. Top up water and Pepsi, ate bananas, some nuts and toilet break before continue on.

Distance Covered: 8.1km
Accumulative Distance: 14.7km
Time Taken: 1:21 (10:21 am)

Accumulative Time: 2:21
Cut-off time: 4 hours / 12 pm
Buffer time: 1:39 hours

CP2 Wu Kau Tang Farm to CP3 Luk Keng (13.5 km)

155763_10151934213854823_782224389_nAt CP2 – Wu Kau Tang

I think we passed some old Chinese cemetery somewhere here, i can’t imagine running here at night.
This is one of the longest part in the race - 13.5km between CP. It’s technical but it’s a fast route, I like it so far.

And more stairs……and more descends

And now we’re running near the beach on concrete road. Time to speed up and gain some lost time.
Reached CP3 at mid-day, 12:32 pm.

Time for lunch, thankfully they serve Rice Balls here. I took three rice balls, a bananas, some nuts, finish up the Pepsi before topping up.

There were less people when I arrived, so I was served immediately. When Juswil and I left, more runners were coming in. It’s crowded now at CP3.

Only then I realised that I was pacing 50km runners prior to CP3, no wonder I was having problem to keep up with their paces.

Thankfully no damage done, only I gained more buffer time – almost 2:30 hours.
Print
Distance Covered: 13.5km
Accumulative Distance: 28.2km
Time Taken: 2:11 (12:32 pm)

Accumulative Time: 4:32
Cut-off time: 7 hours / 3 pm

Buffer time: 2:28 hours

CP3 Luk Keng to CP4 Hok Tau (9.5 km)

More stairs and crazy inclines…urghhh

My energy level was still good, Juswil still leading the pace while I sweep.

Finally arrived at CP 4 just before 3 pm, took us almost 7 hours for 37km distance.

Now we got more than 3 hours buffer time before cut off, I guess we take more time here to rehydrate and get more calories in.

TNF HK2

Distance Covered: 9.5km
Accumulative Distance: 37.7km
Time Taken: 2:11 (2:43 pm)

Accumulative Time: 6:43
Cut-off time: 10 hours / 6 pm

Buffer time: 3:17 hours

CP4 Hok Tau to CP5 Fan Ling (9.3 km)

1521450_10151934215659823_1046683261_nYim making funny faces here at CP4

As I stopped, a volunteer passed a bag to me. Took me by surprised, oh it’s my drop bag. First time I got served like this, previous races I need to ask for my drop bag. This is efficient, thumbs up to the organiser.
Juswil was already here, sipping coffee and having a banana. As I sat down having my meals, Dr. Francis and Yim arrived. Nice, more familiar faces.

After, topping up my bottles with water and Pepsi and rearranging my bag pack. I  continue the run with Francis and Juswil. While Yim was having his sweet time at the CP. All of a sudden, I felt the need to pangsai very badly!

Ironic after meeting the pangsai man, now I’m in need of toilet. I swore this is this first time ever in a race I need to pangsai.

So I asked Francis and Juswil to move ahead, wasted about 20 mins here. But the good thing is that I felt lighter. Now it started to rain, I put on my rain jacket on and push on. Weather still manageable, no need to wear thermal clothes yet.

When we’re directed into an abandoned tarmac road, I had this funny feeling. When I saw the bushwhacking route that we need to take, I cursed!

Now we going to waste more time going through this. It’s one of the more technical section in this race, some parts going downhill was slippery. I was almost gone down the mountain at some part – really dangerous. It’s raining, slippery but thankfully we still have day light. I couldn’t imagine slower guys behind us to manoeuvre here in the dark.

I took a very long time descending those slippery hills, I really don’t want a twisted ankle at this point of the race. I safely passed through the bushwhacking section, i arrived at some tarmac section, it’s time to put the pedal to the metal. I pushed and run fast here, gaining back lost time from bushwhacking section.

Arrived at CP5 around 5 pm. Juswil was there waiting for me and he had McDonalds lol. My Garmin was low on battery, so I charge it with powerbank and put it inside a ziplock bag, which I put into my bag pack. It will be fully charged once I arrived at the next station.

I top up the bottles with Pepsi and Water, put on my Petzl Nao headlamp and my Black Diamond poles. We took longer break here, eating and drinking to replenish our energy.

Time taken should be less than 2:30 hours for this section, coz the timing mat was located after the CP.
Now to tackle the final 53km, it was a great 47km of daytime running for me. It was rather a fast technical trail up until now.

Those trail and mountains that we passed was nothing compare to the next challenges. Energy level was great and the good thing is that we made it here under 10 hours as we plan the night earlier. That’s leave us with 16 hours to tackle 53km, more than enough time for us, even if we walk we could make it.

Distance Covered: 9.3km
Accumulative Distance: 47km
Time Taken: 3:03 (5:46 pm)

Accumulative Time: 9:46
Cut-off time: 12:30 hours / 8:30 pm

Buffer time: 2:44 hours

CP5 Fan Ling to CP6 Kadoorie Farm (8.7 km)

1463654_10151934215989823_565559294_nLeaving CP5, it’s raining and getting colder

It’s getting dark when we (Juswil and I) left the CP5. I started to use poles here, it started with concrete stairs before entering the trails.

It’s dark when we entered the trail, and all of the sudden I couldn’t see clearly the road. Smog came out whenever I breathe and fog was everywhere. I don’t know how people can run in the dark, I surely can’t when visibility is less than 10 meters now. Thankfully we had put more time in bank, so we could powerwalk all these coming sections.

More stairs…even in the dark. I felt like Frodo ascending the Spider stairs to Moldor.

One good thing about the darkness is that I don’t see the stairs and the inclines it lead to, I kept whacking it up and down, up and down. Now I was really careful with where I put my feet, with the fog you couldn’t see clearly in front.

It’s raining, I met Janelle from SG nearing CP6. I decided to tag along with her, at least I have a company to chat with. 

Reached CP6 after almost 2:30 hours of hiking in the dark. Still a lot of buffer time, almost 3 hours.

379685_10151934217204823_2034429572_nWith Keith Noyes, Race Director TNF100 HK after the race.

Distance Covered: 8.7km
Accumulative Distance: 55.7km
Time Taken: 2:25 (7:57 pm)

Accumulative Time: 12:11
Cut-off time: 15 hours / 11:00 pm

Buffer time: 2:49 hours

CP6 Kadoorie Farm to CP7 Tai Mo Shan (8.8 km)

When I arrived at CP6, Juswil was already there eating his meals. It’s getting colder now, with rain and the wind.

Bad news for me, Pepsi is out at this aid station. Gone! There’s goes my fuel plan, now I have to rely on Powergel for the rest of the way.

Finally after lengthy talk with Janelle, we left CP6 and continue the attack on Tai Mo Shan. She wanted to stop at CP6, but I convinced her to continue.

It was a steep hike from the bottom to the peak. More stairs…

Finally no more stairs, it’s now a tarmac road. I was nearing the peak of Tai Mo Shan.

More inclines on tarmac road, but it’s foggy.

I couldn’t see 5 meters in front of us, our only guide was the white line in the middle of the road. It’s getting colder now, as we ascend further; the wind was blowing so stronger. Pushed us back! This is not a good sign.

My thermal top that I wore after CP6 is wet under my rain jacket, I’m getting colder and my core temperature was decreasing rapidly. I knew if I stop, I would be in hypothermia state.

Oh boy, now I regret not to stop at CP6… lol

You have to be fast or fat to conquer Tai Mo Shan, and I’m neither. I guess I needed to eat more and store up more fat.

Finally we arrived at CP7, quickly took a hot noodle and hide inside a tent. It was nice in that tent, no wind!

I was surprised, there were many strong runners inside the tent. I could see runners from Japan, HK, SG, Malaysia etc.

Dr. Francis (Boston, Comrade finisher, HK100 finisher 19 hours) was there inside the tent, what he said next was so true. It’s not easy to get rid of our ego and not to continue. DNF is not an easy option, but if it meant risking your life, I DNF anytime.

So that’s it. I DNF at CP7- Tai Mo Shan. 64.5km in 15:23 hours with 2:07 hours under cut-off time.

TNF HK 1

We are not quitter, coz we will be back next year for redemption.

Bad weather on Tai Mo Shan took many runners by surprise, I was gutted to DNF my first 100km race after completed so many, especially with a lot of buffer time. But I took this like a man, I owned this failure – I blamed no one but myself and hopefully I will be back stronger next year.

The bus took us DNFer back to start line at Tai Mei Tuk. We arrived around 1 am, after a hot shower and a change of warm clothes I felt better.

There’s about 30 odd finisher when we arrived at start line, all of them looked like hell! But all of them are definitely champions in their own right.

There’s one finisher by the name of Ezra Emerson, finished in 17 hours. All his clothes in the drop bag was all soaking wet due to the rain. I could see he was getting into hypothermia state. He asked around for a dry t.shirt, I gave him mine (TNF HK event t.shirt). I said to him, I don’t want it coz I didn’t finish. I hope you enjoy the t.shirt Ezra.

Distance Covered: 8.8km

Accumulative Distance: 64.5km
Time Taken: 3:12 (11:09 pm)

Accumulative Time: 15:23
Cut-off time: 17:30 hours / 1:30 am

Buffer time: 2:07 hours


TNF100 Hong Kong Statistics.
FINISHER - 261
DNF - 180
DNS - 42
261 finishers from 483 registered.
261 finisher from 441 starters. (Men 223, Women 38)
59.2% Finisher | 40.8% DNF Rate

TNF HK 2

Based on the statistics alone, i guess TNF100The North Face Philippines 2013 (43.7% Finisher | 56.2% DNF) is a bit more tougher than TNF HK.

Only runners that completed both 100km would know which one is the real beast! http://www.racetecresults.com/Results.aspx?CId=16387&RId=69

























































































4 comments:

  1. Wow. respek wei, weather and all.

    good luck on your next adventure!
    i enjoyed your recap. and it tells me not to be crazy and attempt a 100km event. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yvonne.

    Pls be crazy and try 100km, u don't know your limit until u tried and tested ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. terbaekkk bro... good info for my next journey in Jan...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good lark Arman. Jan lagi sejuk tu, sediakan baju panas

    ReplyDelete