“Running takes passion and courage and we run not with our legs, but with our hearts” – Candice Burt
How time flies, it was my fourth consecutive SCMS. I didn’t plan to stay long in SG, fly in Saturday morning and return back Sunday afternoon after the race.
It’s was considered as another training run for TNF HK 100km in December. As my mileage accumulation going into this race was pretty rubbish, i did not expect any superb finishing timing. If i’m lucky, i could finish under 4:30.
I’ve been plague with knee issues lately, my plan was only to finish this Anniversary Marathon injury free. I completed my first 42km three years ago here in Singapore but still feel like yesterday though.
It's a special Marathon, a time for me to count my blessings and reflect all my running moments - all those sweet and bitter memories.
It was rainy day on Saturday before the Marathon, i stayed in a Hostel at Arab Street and rested and sleep few hours that afternoon.
BIG MISTAKE!
I couldn’t sleep later that night, keep turning and tossing but couldn't sleep. I wasn’t nervous though, finally get up from the bed got into my Marathon Maniac vest by 3:00am. I ate a Cliff Bar before catching the MRT going to Orchard Road where the start line was.
Age is catching up with me, i forgot to bring my Power Gels! Dang! As i didn’t plan to break the world record nor my Marathon PB, i guess i will depend on whatever they have at Water Stations. Another rookie MISTAKE!
Running a Marathon without enough sleep is an idiotic thing to do, i’m sure i’ll pay in full during the Marathon later.
I met Karsten Korbel on MRT going to Orchard St. After wished him good luck, we went our separate ways.
Arrived at Orchard Road few minutes after 4:00am. There are two corral or waves for SCMS, Blue bib for runners under 5 hours and Red bib for runners 5 hours and above. As i registered for Blue bib the official let me into the front corral. They are strict about this, many Red bib runners tried to enter the front corral but to no avail.
I made my way all the way to the front and stopping by few rows front the front runners. Beyond that was the pacers and the elites. If you aiming for good timing at SCMS, you better come at least an hour early and get yourself parked in front. Met the usual suspects there, saw SG Blade Runner, said hi to Adam 1Arm runner and few of the freedom freaks gang – Yaoming, Izat etc.
Adam and I was encouraging Izat to aim for Boston Qualification. At first he was a bit hesitated, but after a bit of moral support from both of us, he made his way to the very front of the pack and parked himself with the Kenyans.
At the end of the day, Izat did awesomely great. He finished in 3:09 thus qualified for Boston Marathon. Congrats Izat, i’m very proud of you bro. Now this is the real fast runner not just some poyo wannabe.
The race start on time, at 5:01 am the Full Marathon runners was gunned off. There i was running with 11,488 other runners. Last year at SCMS 2012, we had more FM runners – 17,500.
I started the first 5km too fast, at one time i run and left 4:00 pacers and 3:45 pacers far behind me. My pace was shockingly around 4:45 at one point. Nearing 10km, i decided to slow down and let the 3:45 pacers overtook me. Well i don’t plan to DNF this anniversary marathon due to motor breakdown. I maintained pace around 5:30 after that, now i felt better and breathe better. I felt my lungs was on fire earlier, this is a nice pace i said to myself.
The weather that morning was somewhat humid, my only fuel was 100plus and water at every WS. Thankfully it was 2.5km/3km apart.
Reaching Marina Barrage - 35km
After the F1 track and running on Nicol Highway to met King Sam, paced with him for few minutes before i had to let him go. He was going faster and catching up the 3:45 pacers, ok maybe another time when i have more decent training mileage.
I completed 5km in 25 minutes and 10km in 53 minutes respectively.
The route was exactly the same from last year, i kinda of memorise the route in my head. I help with my mental calculation as i know what come next.
After 15km, i felt hungry and my pace started to slow down. More runners passed me at this point inside the ECP. I know this is my low point in the race, all i need is to fight it off – every inches and meters. I kept running and try to maintained the pace. After a while i was back running 5:30 pace. That was quite a relief for me.
Thankfully my knees was behaving throughout the race, wonderful i said to myself.
As i reached the halfway mark – the 21km. Drizzle rain started to fall around ECP, great we will have a blisters fiesta after this wet race.
Reached 21km on the dot – 2:00 hours mark. But the 4:00 pacers are still behind me, i don’t think i could make it under sub 4 but never hurt to try. So there i was running the best 10km in the second half, but i wasn’t to be my day.
At 30km onwards, i went bonked. I hit the WALL. My pace was reduced tremendously, all i can do now is cruising slowly to finish line at 6:30 – 7:00 pace. I thought i could maintained that 5:30 pace forever.
I was mighty glad to reached the Freedom Freaks WS at 34km, there was Coca Cola and Red Bull. Asree and the gang were there cheering and supporting other runners.
Asree encourage me not to stop too long and try catch-up with the 4:00 pacers. I said to him, i had nothing more bro. I was spent, all the energy gone. I spend more this at this WS chit chat with the guys, my aim was to finish anniversary marathon now. The 4:00 pacers finally overtook me at 32km, i never recovered and pushed that wall all the way to the finish line.
The weather was good though, cloudy with no sun. This is the best weather in all four SCMS that i ever ran. Normally after 30km the route through the Golf course to Marina Bay would be the hottest area, but not this year.
I completed my 27th Marathon at my 4th SCMS, awesome. I will be here next year and i even could picture myself celebrating my 10th SCMS in 2020.
My reflection during the entire Marathon was that I am blessed able to pursue my passion and meeting many wonderful runner friends sharing the same joy along my journey.
Still counting my blessings...
I finished my 27th Marathon and also my anniversary marathon in 4:13:05
Position number 639 out of 11,488 Full Marathoners.
My splits:
5km > 25:12 10km > 53:58 15km > 1:20:48 20km > 1:50:44 21.1km>2:00:09 25km > 2:18:52 30km > 2:49:18 35km > 3:25:29 40km > 3:58:24 42.2km > 4:13:05
Photo credits:
Asree, Running Shots, Marathon Photos
No comments:
Post a Comment